partition hardrive

sudoman 18:52 14 Apr 2009

my laptop has an hardrive with 225gigs of useable space i want to split it into 2 partitons how do i go about this?.i have vista home premium installed.

Technotiger 19:44 14 Apr 2009
  woodchip 19:55 14 Apr 2009

If you only have a Restore Disc take care it may not work after you change drive configuration. You could by Acronis True Image so you could restore it, even if the Drive dies and you have a Image on External drive

sudoman 20:06 14 Apr 2009

the thing i want to do is have my progams on one partioin and my data ie music photos videos on the other partion

woodchip 21:53 14 Apr 2009

Yes thats okay but as I said if you only have Restore CD for if something goes wrong it will not work after you change Partitions. Thats why I said you need Acronis to Make a Image to another Drive while its working okay. You could then use the Image to restore the PC to what it was when you created the Image

DieSse 22:36 14 Apr 2009

Modifying partitions on a working system is flirting with danger - even worse if you have a special hidden recovery partition. If it goes wrong, you can lose everything.

That's why you are being advised to backup first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?