partition a hard drive how????

raggy 2 20:03 22 Jan 2006

Hi guys I have a 40G and 160G hard drives and my 40G has only 11G left and have been told this will be why my PC is running slow and that I need to partition them so I can free up some space on my 40G 'c' drive.
How easy is this? do I need to spend money on software for this or can it be done manually?? could a novice do it and is it really beneficial.
I know thats a lot of Q & A but I do appreciate you experts spreading your knowledge

SANTOS7 20:14 22 Jan 2006

The amount of freespace you have on your harddrive is not the reason your PC is running slowly, it is how you manage what is on there that will make it run slowly.
partitioning your second HDD is not necessary, unless you really want to, but maybe some good house keeping is in order.
clean out all temp files scan regularly for spy/mal ware defrag your C:/ drive get rid of any unwanted progs uninstall and reinstall to your second HDD your important files and progs...
Do you have enough memory to run all that you do, installing maybe more memory will help...

raggy 2 20:17 22 Jan 2006

756M ram
running XP pro
So if I uninstall and then reinstall some progs how much space would be about right to have on C drive

SANTOS7 20:22 22 Jan 2006

As much as your happy with, the purist's would say you only need the bare essentials on your C:/ in case of total file loss for what ever reason you can easily restore what is on there by haveing a backup on your other drive, do it soon if you nave not...

SANTOS7 20:25 22 Jan 2006

My setup is similar to yours one 40gig and one 80 gig 40gig is C:/ with O/S and very little else all important stuff including backups are on 80 gig

eqskey 20:35 22 Jan 2006

Go to system tools and Defragment the drives.

I'm always amazed when people stuff everything onto there pc's.Why don't you use the CD and DVD read/writers~that's why they are on the machines.

For example why store loads of fims when you can burn them onto cheap blank disks.But then again loads of people are chronics hoarders.

SANTOS7 20:37 22 Jan 2006

I haven't got any "chronics" on my PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?