Partition Hard Drive

Shikaree 18:29 24 Jun 2008

Hi Folks,

A friend has given me a 320GB IDE Hard Drive. Will I be able to Partition this into 4X80GB divisions. If so, how would I go about doing it and will my Motherboard recognise it.

My Motherboard is Micro-Star MS-6195 K7 Pro ATX IR3. Version 1.0B.

Please advise.

Thanks

Shikaree

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 24 Jun 2008

Are you going to fit this drive as your MAster drive, and install windows on it?

If so you can partition using the Windows CD.

Shikaree 19:02 24 Jun 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Yes, as a Master Drive. I have Acronis True Image. I have 2X80GB Hard Drives in my computer now, one as Master & the other I keep for Cloning Monthly. With four Partitions, I'll keep one for Cloning, one for all my photos and one for all my Personal Documents and one will have the 'C' Main Partition. This way I'll have only one Hard Drive.

Thanks

Shikaree

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 24 Jun 2008

One hard drive is a bad idea.
If the drive fails electrically or mechanically you have lost your operating system, all your data and your back ups.

Keep the 80g as the master just with the operating system on it,its easy to copy the smaller drive.
Fit the 320 as slave and use to hold your programs data etc. and back up your data t another source

Shikaree 19:34 24 Jun 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thanks. I think I'll give up the idea of the 320GB hard drive and stick to my 2X80GB Hard Drives I have.
One as Master the other a Slave for Cloning as I do.

Thanks very much.

Shikaree

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 24 Jun 2008

Why dont you get a external caddy and fit the 320 in it and you can save all your data etc. and images to the 320.

Shikaree 16:37 25 Jun 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thanks. That's a great idea. I shall to exactly that.

Thanks once again for you Help & advise

Shikaree

crosstrainer 16:49 25 Jun 2008

If you have Acronis and use backup regularly (incremental or differential) then you won't lose your o/s or data at all.

I'm paranoid, and therefore have 2 backup locations. 1 external bootable USB2 500GB hdd

and one of my 2 500gb drives in this is used as a backup location as well.

Storage is cheap as chips these day's.

Shikaree 22:13 26 Jun 2008

crosstrainer,

Thanks for the advise. Better Safe than Sorry. I agree with you. Precaution is better than cure.

Shikaree

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?