Partition disappeared

Bad_Boy1022 23:41 06 Dec 2008

HI chaps

I have a problem, my laptop hdd was partitioned in c:, and e: by the manufacturer. Today, i just realised the e: partition has disappeared.

Is there a way of getting it back. The laptop was not used for 3 weeks. Everythind was fine before. I have 50 GB of data on that E: drive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Disk management says disk 0, c: 74.4 GB, and it sees another block of 73 GB, but there's no partition assignement.

Cheers

BB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:57 06 Dec 2008

To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
7. Click OK.

Bad_Boy1022 09:16 07 Dec 2008

HI

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortuately the steps above did not work.

"The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up to date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. if problem persist close disk management console and restart disk managment or restart the computer".

well, I have refreshed, close dM, and restarted computer still I can not assigne a drive letter to that partition.

If there a software that can do that? or I have lost that partition for good now. :(

Please advise.

BB

Peter 11:14 07 Dec 2008

MBR Work might be able to recover your lost partition, but it needs to be run from a floppy disk or a bootable USB drive. Email me via the yellow envelope and I can email you a copy of this freeware programme. Use it at your own risk -do a complete backup first!

Peter.

Jollyjohn 11:41 07 Dec 2008

Can I suggest Testdisk click here When using this you get the chance to copy data from a partition before changing any settings etc.

Bad_Boy1022 15:37 07 Dec 2008

HI Peter and John

Thank you so much for the help. I have recovered the partition, and have assigned it. All data are there, and currently uploading my NAS for safety

Also, for some reason both partition were marked as active too.

I used the testdisk software, and it solved the problem.

Thank you so much

BB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone