Partition for backup/automated windows install

Lee-262377 08:48 25 Nov 2005

Hi, I have two hard drives, primary is seagate 160GB and secondary is seagate 80GB. I seem to recall reading somewhere that if I partition one of my drives I can take an image of my O/s (or back up my data/settings etc) to it. Before I take the plunge can anyone tell me if this is a good way of doing things. I assume that when windows is reinstalled that the partitioned drive is not formatted and therefore does not lose all its data.
I have also heard that you can make windows installations automatic, (which saves being sat at my pc for an age) can anyone advise me how to do this too.
Many Thanks in advance

Diemmess 09:28 25 Nov 2005

Your half-remembered information is a tad tangled.
There is a variety of software that will make a snapshot of a whole drive (or partition if you have made a division of a HD).
This can be stored on another drive as well as anything else you wish to store on that drive.
BUT
When you "restore" this image it will overwrite everything on the "target drive."

So you need to have somewhere (your secondary HD?) to store that image, but do remember that the important drive you make an image of could at the moment be up to 160Gb in size!

Clearly, if you are going to backup your OS and main applications this way you need to keep that vital drive down to something more manageable say from 10 to 20 GB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone