Partition

loser7 12:04 18 Nov 2006

I just bought a new hard drive as my last one gave up (suddenly) and i have installed winxp, but as i was installing programs i ran out of disc space, and have discovered that the drive must have been partitioned and i have mistakenly installed windows on a 2gig partition and left the other 78gig free. Is there any way i can use the rest of the drive without installing everything again.

Diodorus Siculus 12:12 18 Nov 2006

Not really - 2gb is too little to run XP on. You could get some third party partitioning software such as Partition Magic but to be honest I think you would be better off wiping clean and starting afresh.

loser7 12:17 18 Nov 2006

Ok thanks for advise Diodorus Siculus but do you know off hand why a brand new drive would have more than one partition or if i should partion the drive myself when reinstalling

Diodorus Siculus 12:24 18 Nov 2006

It's of little use to you with a 2gb partition so when installing XP choose to repartition - either into 2 x40gb or leave as one partition.
If you search these pages you will find a lot of debate about the value of partitioning; I fall into the camp that advocates partitioning for ease of backup and organisation.

Don't know why it came like that unless there was a partition with drivers etc - I once got a PC that had such a feature.

loser7 12:26 18 Nov 2006

Thanks for your help on this, i will go for 2 40GIG partitions then.

mymate 19:25 18 Nov 2006

This is free. click here
Paragon partition manager if its any good for you .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?