Partially Functioning Front Media Panel

Maundy 00:33 15 May 2015

Windows 7 O.S. , Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard. My media front panel connects via one of the several 9 pin USB connectors on the motherboard. The front panel USB2 slots work O.K. but none of the memory card slots appear to be live even though the front panel light suggests they do. Device manager advises the 'Generic Volume' cannot start (Code 10) but all attempts to delete and reinstall the device results in the same situation. On trying to update the driver I am advised that the latest driver is being used. Believing that the device was corrupt I installed a similar, but different make of media panel and exactly the same situation occurred; USB slot OK but all the memory card slots couldn't be read. Currently I am having to resort to using an external USB cardreader adapter which functions without problems. Any suggestions to fix the media front panel card reader would be much appreciated.

rdave13 01:12 15 May 2015

Delete in device manager, without the external card reader connected, obviously, and reboot.

If still not functioning then try windows update.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:18 16 May 2015

Also in device manager you need to go into show hidden devices.

delete all of them (it may take some time as you can only do them one at a time.)

Maundy 18:28 23 May 2015

Many thanks FruitBat, problem solved using your useful info as a good foundation. With the media front panel disconnected the problem 'Generic volume' was not there to delete from Device Manager but it led me to look at other views one of which displayed 96 entries of 'Generic volume shadow copy'. Can you advise what this is because with the resolution of the problem I can't now get it displaying again in Device Manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?