Partially Functioning DVD writing drive

Epirb406 19:54 14 Feb 2006

I have just migrated from a PC Chips 748 Motherboard to an MSI K7n2 and am deeply regretting it! I have on ongoing keyboard and mouse problem here: click here and also a dvd drive problem.

The drive is recognised, installed and ready to work, however, it is showing a variety of different error messages when in use. For example, when my ATI drivers CD is inserted, the drive auto runs and displays first menu , if I elect from tgher to install I get the message 'error installing Kernel.exe:(0x10000)'

The error varies with other disks but for instance I was unable to do a sfc check as it couldn't execute anything from the disk.

I cannot install any programs from the drive and it will not play dvds correctly, lots of blocking.

It was, on the old system, the master drive on IDE 2 with a CD writer as slave.

I have tried all combinations of the two drives, with jumper and cable select. The CD drive always functions perfectly, the DVD drive always fails, however the jumpers are set or wherever it is on the cable.

The drive is an Artec von-12e48x, I have installed the motherboard IDE drivers and tried everything I can think of.

On the face of it it seems to be a dead or very sick drive but with the fact that it was working well on the other motherboard and the other problem, is this a motherboard problem?

Thanks for reading this far, I sure could do with some help here!

Brgds, Epirb.

Mark5001 21:11 14 Feb 2006

Have you checked that both IDE channels are enabled in the BIOS?

Epirb406 21:46 14 Feb 2006

Beleive so, CD drive on same channel is working in any case.

Epirb.

Mark5001 23:20 14 Feb 2006

If you have not already done so, download the latest Forceware drivers for your board
click here
This is for XP.
If you are on another OS go here and choose. click here have the same board as you and I have two DVD writers and two HDD. I have one HDD and one DVD on each channel and all works ok.

Epirb406 19:16 15 Feb 2006

Hi, sorry not to reply yesterday, sleep called.

I seem to have solved this strand of the problem but not sure if done in the best way.

In device manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, NVIDIA MCP2S PARALLEL ATA CONTROLLER (V2.6)

The DVD drive was set to allow the BIOS to set the control of the transfer mode which it had set to PIO mode. I changed that to Ultra DMA 2-Ultra 33.

Problem solved!

However, don't know if it is the best solution and the problem here: click here is still driving me mad!

Will check thisone solved but look forward to any further comment,

Many Thanks, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?