partial printing problem

oldandgrey 14:49 10 Aug 2008

I have an HP840c and a PC running XP with SP2. The printer has taken to only partially printing pages on an intermittent basis. In a 20 page document 2 pages have been partially printed then it goes on to the next page and prints that correctly. It does it with numerous programs from MS Word, Publisher, Excel, DTP programs and you name it it does it. I have uninstalled and re-installed, updated drivers, stopped spooling and re-started all to no avail. Does it mean I need to bin the printer (incidentally HP have suggested various options but as it is intermittent they don't seem to be interested) or is it a PC problem? This is costing me time and money (ink and photo paper) Many thanks for help which I hope is forthcoming

woodchip 15:01 10 Aug 2008

it is a old printer working with new system. you probably was running this on win98

oldandgrey 15:26 10 Aug 2008

Yes I agree it is old but it has worked with Windows ME and XP until recently so I wondered if the problem could be overcome - you obviously think I should consign it to the scrap heap

woodchip 19:41 10 Aug 2008

Only other thing you could try is remove any Ref in Add Remove Programs, check Printer Folder and delete it these if it still shows then look for the Printer in Search like HP840C also it need removing from the Registry. After that Reload the Printer as if it was the first time. Do not plug Printer into USB if its a USB until the Setup starts looking for the printer

oldandgrey 18:38 14 Aug 2008

Thanks for help but unfortunately I wasn't successful - had to give it a trial as problem is always intermittent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017