Partial Internet access only

SleeplessKnight 14:01 14 Jul 2008

I've had a weird problem for a few weeks now with my home PC in that I can only access a few Internet sites.

My set-up is Windows ME, using a Speedtouch USB modem to connect via Orange Broadband.

The error is not browser-specific as I have tried accessing sites using IE6, Firefox2 and even Flock but I get the same errors in all browsers. Strangely enough, connecting to Gmail via Thunderbird is a doddle and even downloading files using Limewire works with no problems.

I've read other threads on here and around to try to resolve this issue but to no avail. I've checked my firewall settings (I use Zone Alarm free (and no, its not caused by the issue reported here last week with the windows update because I've tried that fix)).

I've tried using PING and TRACERT - if I try to access the sites that I can't get to on the browsers these just report timeout error messages. I should add that the pages don't fail to load - they just keep trying to load but never reach the point where the browser recognises that it can't load the page and reports an error.

I can access Google (although clicking on a search result usually just results in the resulting page not loading); I can access Gmail fine; I can access Orange home page and the email Login screen but when I try to login it fails to load. I can access play.com but not Amazon. I can access my bank's page and carry out my online banking (Nationwide). I can't access Facebook. There doesn't seem to be any particular logic to which pages I can and can't access ie no particular factors which narrow it down. I can't even access these forums or any other help forums from home and hence am posting this at work.

Any suggestions?

brundle 14:05 14 Jul 2008

MTU; click here

SleeplessKnight 19:50 14 Jul 2008

Hey brundle - thanks for that link. As you might guess from the fact that I'm replying and able to access this site at home, it all seems ok now. I've got my full internet access back again at last.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?