part delete cd r/w

johnnyrocker 19:32 16 Apr 2006

can anyone tell me in simple terms why i can delete content on a cd r/w but not edit by deleting some of the content?

johnny.

rmcqua 19:46 16 Apr 2006

Because the content is contained within "lead in" and "lead out" data (a bit like parentheses in writing) and the erasing protocol will not permit partial erasing of data within these parentheses.

....I think !

woodchip 20:02 16 Apr 2006

You can only do it if you Format the CDRW disc with Packet writing software

Totally-braindead 20:58 16 Apr 2006

If you have created a mutisession CDRW I think you can create a file by the same name which would then overwrite the existing file name, the file would still be there I hasten to add its just that you would be no longer able to see it, you would just see the new one with the same name, the file would be there until you formatted the disk again.

I think this is correct but no longer use CDRW I find they are just not reliable enough. Since CDRs are now so cheap I just create a multisession disk and keep adding till its filled. If it is very critical info I make 2 copies, such as my photos.

Ray5776 21:09 16 Apr 2006

DVD RAM looks like the way forward on this sort of thing any comments/

ade.h 23:20 16 Apr 2006

Ray - I use RAM quite a lot now, but I also routinely use standard DVD-RWs that have been formatted with DLA so that they behave like a hard-disk partition. That's the most convenient for me, as RWs are faster than RAM (in my drives at least). The projected longevity of RAM could appeal if you want long-term archival.

johnnyrocker 23:35 16 Apr 2006

well i apologise to the more knowledgeable posters but most of the answers are well over my head.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?