Parallel to USB converter

bpzoom 16:14 28 Jan 2011
Answered

Windows 7. My new PC does not have a parallel connection for my HP710c printer and so I bought a parallel to USB converter cable. The PC says the printer drivers are downloaded and in place and the printer is ready to use. Only it refuses to print. The documents join a queue and nothing happens. I have tried the USB end in different USB slots but to no avail. Any one know what might be the cause please?

Terry Brown 16:26 28 Jan 2011

I'm afraid it is bad news- See link.
click here

USB is not supported for that printer.

Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 28 Jan 2011

You need to set the laptop to print to USB port

Settings -printers and faxes - rght click your printer - select properties - ports - scroll down to USB virtual printer port

bpzoom 16:58 28 Jan 2011

I have tried that before Fruit Bat but with same result. I will try that again.

bpzoom 17:09 28 Jan 2011

Same result, I have tried LP1 LP2 and the virtual USB port. In every case a document is put into the printing queue, but nothing happens. Maybe this very good but old printer is beyond the USB pale.

GaT7 17:11 28 Jan 2011
Answer

I had a very similar problem with a HP 640C printer - couldn't get it to work on XP even. These things just won't work for some people, & most likely unsupported by our printers as TB says - also see click here.

Never got around to trying it (as I moved on to a USB printer), but I think a PCI parallel card might work - e.g. click here. More choice/cheaper ones via click here, but the previous one has 5 perfect reviews & says it's compatible with Win7 in the specs. But please don't hold me responsible if that doesn't work either! G

bpzoom 22:38 30 Jan 2011

Rather than break into the new box I decided to give up on the PCI card option and scrap the printer, or more likely give it away. I will get a USB printer. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?