Parallel Cable Connection.

User-B6270506-B0CF-413D-B0B5707623FBE39D 18:13 23 Feb 2003

I have been trying to connect 2 PC's together using a Belkin parallel cable connection. I have plugged in the parallel cable to both computers, used the create new connection wizard to set up both computers using a diret parallel connection (one as host, one as guest). However, when I try to connect the computers it stalls at "verify user name and password" after 60 seconds or so I get an error that the remote computer is not responding. I have checked the setting on both computers and the the host is set to accept a user I have created, and the guest is trying to log on as that user. I have tried setting up both of the PC's as the host, and I get the same result. I must be missing something.

While I am an experienced computer user, I am an utter newbie when it comes to any form of networking. So I guess I'm making a daft error somewhere along the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I should also mention that no instructions came with the cable (I bougth it from Ebay).

Thanks

John

zed650 20:30 23 Feb 2003

Best bet is to try some synchronising software – trial or even full programs are often available on cover discs. I’ve successfully used Laplink in the past with a parallel cable but you can also use USB for some extra speed. However the version I use does not work with WinXP, so hope you’ve got other OS and keep a look out for those disks.

johnem 20:49 23 Feb 2003

Stating the obvious, the parallel cable you acquired is a crossover type! Try this site click here

jhonem - The cable is a belkin pro data transfer cable. I take it that this is a crossover cable.

zed650 - Thanks for the advice, I will try and find some freeware as I only intend to transfer some important data to my new PC. It should be a once only requirement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?