Panoramic/Landscape Mode

Nightryder 21:59 11 Aug 2004

Im looking to buy a new digital Camera, top of my list is a Kodak 7630, ive been reading everything I can find on this model but cant find out(including an e-mail to Kodak, no answer) if taking pictures in Landscape mode is the same as panoramic mode, does anyone know??

Falkyrn 22:17 11 Aug 2004

I'm not 100% sure but I believe this mode is from the size/quality option which has a normal setting of 3x2 which is the optimal setting for printing out 4 x 6 images using the optional print docking unit.

The panormaic option gives a different size ratio for printing images.

Falkyrn 22:17 11 Aug 2004

I'm not 100% sure but I believe this mode is from the size/quality option which has a normal setting of 3x2 which is the optimal setting for printing out 4 x 6 images using the optional print docking unit.

The panormaic option gives a different size ratio for printing images.

click here

anchor 08:58 12 Aug 2004

A short answer is NO. To make "true" panoramas you would need a panorama making programme, such as Photovista or Pixmaker.

Some cameras, such as Canon, and I think Olympus, do have a panorama making facility that you use with their software. However, this is not as good as Photovista or Pixmaker.

I have tried The Panorama Factory, and was not impressed with the results.

The BB 09:25 12 Aug 2004

I've got an Olympus C745 from Jessops (£199) 3Mp with 10x optical and with Olympus cards (may just be the directory name?) it has a panorama mode that the accompanying software then stitches together.

Only works right to left (!?) but good - though the panorama picture was 15Meg. Think I was limited to 5 or 7 pictures to stitch together, but the camera has side bars to indicate where the overlaps should be.

Alternative of course is just to do it on a tripod and use one of the many editting packages
Thing to work out is how to print something so long that is so thin when on A4

cga 09:31 12 Aug 2004

Just to add to what anchor says: Some cameras (such as non-digital APS and a few digitals) have what is called a panoramic mode. It really is only pseudo panoramic where the top & bottom of the picture is cropped to give an impression of panoramic when printed.

Real panoramic can only be acheived with a special lens or where a number of shots are stiched together. There are some recommendations for taking pictures for this purpose (use a tripod etc.) but this is best done by software on the computer.

hssutton 10:19 12 Aug 2004

You may find this site click here of interest, if you are really interested in making pano's.

cga 10:24 12 Aug 2004

That is a good site - nice one

spuds 12:01 12 Aug 2004

Kodak UK contacts click here click here

Nightryder 19:35 13 Aug 2004

Thanks a lot for your info Guys, there is an additional wide angle lens I could get it adds about another £60 to the price do you think this would help??

cga 17:01 14 Aug 2004

I dont know which wide angle lens you are looking at but these normally only give you a small increase in the angle and will not make a significant difference when creating a panorama.

By all means ask to try it and see what you think but do not expect miracles.

btw: The most common use I have for my Wide Angle lens is taking interior shot of property (for advertising). You get a little more of the room in but that is about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?