PaintShop Pro7

badgermansix 07:48 10 Aug 2004

I have successfully removed the scratches from a very old photograph, but it still remains very yellowish.
Is there any way that I could get the photograph back to a "near" balck and white?

TIA

Sethhaniel 08:27 10 Aug 2004

should get that fixed -
or plenty of other options
- Sorry not at own computer or would be able to tell you exact keystrokes needed ;)

anchor 08:49 10 Aug 2004

With the picture open in PSP 7, click on colors on the top bar, then click on grey scale.

You can then adjust other settings to give a nice balance of tones.

Young Ranger 13:21 10 Aug 2004

Another option that you could try is Effects/Enhance photo/Automatic colour balance then check the "Remove colour cast" box.

woodchip 13:44 10 Aug 2004

You should be able to convert from colour to black and white. The reason for the yellow is that when you scanned the photo, is you scanned it as a colour scan instead of a gray scale scan. Re-scan and choose Gray Scale. The size will also be a lot smaller.

badgermansix 18:19 10 Aug 2004

Sorry peeps, I have misled you, the photograph was in black and white, like fifty years ago, it is now yellow with age, you know how they go?
when I scanned it I got an excellent likeness but I wondered if I could "un-age" it?
The convert to greyscale is greyed out, as is the Automatic colour balance, and I cannot rescan it because I have returned the photograph!
Nothing is easy anymore is it :-)

woodchip 21:23 10 Aug 2004

you could try the contrast setting in psp. You may have to select the file by clicking on it or draw a mask round it then convert to gray

badgermansix 07:17 11 Aug 2004

Thanks for the imput I'll give it a try and come back.

Sethhaniel 08:11 11 Aug 2004

16 million or whatever
then save it then other options like convert to gray scale may become available

anchor 09:51 11 Aug 2004

Try Sethhaniels suggestion; hopefully that will work.

Can you find grey scale available with any of your other pictures?. If not, you may need to reinstall PSP7; (is your picture a jpg?).

If all fails, I suppose you could print it out selecting "print in Black & White" on your printer.

badgermansix 18:28 15 Aug 2004

Sorry about the delay in responding, I have asked for the orinal photograph back, to try again, I wish I had not volunteered for this :-))
However I have, so I'll give it another crack, my grey scale does work o.k. with other pics. so its just a matter of trying the suggestions offered, I will respond again later, thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?