Painfully slow ADSL

NiN 18:20 22 Feb 2006

Hi, i'm quite new to this so please bear with me. For the past 4 years I have been happily connected to broadband via Pipex, the past 18 months or so on a 2mb line. It has all been working fantastically. Suddenly since the very end of Jan, my download speeds have dropped from around 220+kbps to about 30kbps. After speaking to Pipex support (not the best, it has to be said), i was getting nowhere and I eventually threw in the towel and switched to PlusNet (better support and much much cheaper). I still have the terrible connection speeds. In my possession I have three machines, two routers and a modem (obviously not all connected at once), and i've tried varying configurations to rule out hardware at my end. I've spoken to PlusNet who say that as I can get a throughput of over 400kbps there is nothing more they can do to help. My throughput ranges from 150kbps to around 500kbps. I understand that it should be about 1800kbps+ for a 2mb service. I'm literally only a few hundred metres from the exchange. It's really starting to get me down now, as it was working great and now I have the equivalent of a 256k connection. I can get a decent speed if I use the machine in the middle of the night, but really that's not practical. Can anyone suggest a way I could progress this forward?

The Kestrel 18:51 22 Feb 2006

Have you asked BT or whoever supplies your 'phone service to check the line running into your home? I had a similar problem some time ago, and it turned out to be an old faulty cable. It was replaced with a nice new shiny copper cable, and problem solved.

curlylad 19:02 22 Feb 2006

Couple of things , really just to eliminate from our inquiries.
1) You need to have a adsl filter plugged into every phone socket in the house that is being used even if it is a phone downstairs and you are using the phone socket upstairs for your PC , the downstairs socket must also have a filter fitted.

2)Disable call waiting on your telephone , this can interupt the signal.

3)Make sure your cable from your adsl modem is fitted into a original phone socket and not an extension kit socket.
I had a similar problem and this was suggested to me , I doubled my speed by taking the PC downstairs and plugging directly into the BT line in socket.I think it is something to do with the type of cable used to make the extension leads.
Hope this helps a little !

chub_tor 19:35 22 Feb 2006

I agree with curlylad on items 1 and 2 but I'm not so sure about 3. My ADSL is certainly plugged into an extension that runs all over the house and even has a couple of hand soldered joints in it and I get 1800+ all the time on a F2s (division of Pipex) 2Gb service.

But I do agree entirely with Kestrel - if you have ruled out your hardware and your ISP - then it must be the BT supply. You really have to keep on at them as several posts on this forum on a similar subject will confirm. They usually cave in, amd in the meantime try this link click here it is the BT speedtester page.

curlylad 20:35 22 Feb 2006

chub_tor - Yes you are right , I should have said that it can be a possible cause , I also have friends that use extension leads and they are fine and have absolutely no compromised speed issues but I do know of people including myself where they have plugged straight into the BT wall socket and they have been 'instantly cured' if you like , I was just using this as a possibility !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?