PAGEPLUS-9-SERIF FANTASTIC DTP OFFER

mbp 10:45 10 Apr 2005

PagePlus 9 is here, including Professional Printing Pack. It is fantastic for the price, especially the promotional offer.

1. PDF Professional Printing
2. Integrated Word Processor
3. ProofReader/Grammar Check
4. Convert to Frame

Among all the other DTP features, all of which seem to put MSPublisher2003 in the shade, I am particularly interested in the above 4 features. Can anyone expand on these 4 features and/or compare them with existing programs?

Chris25 20:50 10 Apr 2005

And even so, that came out months ago.

Pesala 22:09 10 Apr 2005

PP9 is last year's product, but still a fantastic program. Though I have PP10, I'm still using PP9 as all my old stuff is in that format, and I have no need to do much work in PP10 at the moment. PP9 will not open PP10 files.

Page Plus SE is free on click here - but it lacks PDF output, web-publishing, and a few other useful features like PCX support, graphics special effects, and automatic Drop Capitals (paragraph leaders). If you can get the full PP9 for less than £50, you won't regret it, but if you want to try before you buy, try Page Plus SE - it is basically the same product with a few bits trimmed.

The latest version, PP10 supports Unicode, footnotes (rare in DTP programs), and collation of separate publications into a book. A full description of the new features can be found: click here

Page Plus 9 is strong on graphics, not quite so hot on wordprocessing, and weak on web-publishing, but I like it due to its wide range of features and high-quality PDF output. WordPerfect is no longer perfect, and I rarely open Open Office.

mbp 09:08 11 Apr 2005

Sorry, I got carried away. I received a special offer to get Serif PagePlus9 for £9.95 and I wanted the world to know aqbout it. When I checked to see which version was on my computer, I found that I already have PagePlus8. Also, the reason I was getting PP9 for less than 10 quid was because PP10 was already out.

I think that Serif products are fantastic, especially with the special offers to old customers, but they do come up with a new version very quickly, almost annually. This aspect is putting me off a bit.

gell 11:16 11 Apr 2005

I disagree that Page Plus is weak on web publishing.I use it all the time and it is well supported on the Serif discussion groups.
gell

Pesala 12:50 11 Apr 2005

You should buy several copies at that price, then upgrade later to PP10 if you need to.

Frequent and regular upgrades are not a negative point at all. If £50 a year for upgrades is more than you want to pay, just skip a year or two. Page Plus 11 is scheduled to be released alter this year. PP9 is a huge improvement on PP8 standard edition, or PDF edition. PP10 added a lot of new features, but also a few too many bugs.

I have good reasons for saying that Page Plus is weak on web publishing. My website click here is over 190 pages. If you try producing a site of that size in Page Plus, and then try moving a page to somewhere else in the site tree, you will see how limited Page Plus is.

sallyleslie 22:47 15 Apr 2005

I like PP9 for straight forward DTP work as there are some neat tricks to speed throughput but for your website you really need WP9. Serif have decided to separate the 2 products now and I rate WP9 and have really got my site going with it. (I still use Frontpage if I want to play with script or code though) I also take Pesala's point - I have about 20 pages on my site and it is already getting a tad unwieldy! However it is really good to start realising a design. WP9 is the latest version at present so am not sure how long you will have to wait for an "offer" but worth keeping an eye on the Serif Newsgroups and forums for more information

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?