Page widths in Firefox vs IE

phil 21:25 18 May 2005

I'm in the early stages of adding a new navigation system to my site and have come up against a strange problem.

I need someone that uses both browsers to help me please.

click here

This is a template page with the menu in place and in FF it fits the page almost perfectly but in IE the page width stretches almost a quarters width more.

Obviously the code is the same for both and if I remove the menu code the IE page then shows correctly. Put the code back in and it expands again.

I have used percentages for the tables (they are subject to change) but the menu code and the top banner are not included within a table so I can't see how that could affect the problem.

I have made the menu 30% smaller but it still gives me the same IE size difference.

The menu was built with Nav Studio 2005 so if anyone has any knowledge of this then further advice on the programme would be welcome.

LeadingMNMs 21:49 18 May 2005

I've only had a quick look, but I think the problem may be the hidden section that reads "****JavaScript based drop down DHTML menu generated by NavStudio. (OpenCube Inc. - click here)****", certainly at a resolution of 800 x 600 it extends over the page (when made visible obviously). If I remember, 'hidden' placement only hides the object, whereas if you use 'display:none' it won't take up any space.

I'll have a better look at it - it was too wide, but when I downloaded it and opened it, it fitted without any horizontal scrollbar.

LeadingMNMs 21:56 18 May 2005

Ignore that - I'll keep looking.

phil 22:50 18 May 2005

I've just removed this bit:

****JavaScript based drop down DHTML menu generated by NavStudio. (OpenCube Inc. - click here)****

and it now works properly.

Would removing that permanently cause any further problems?

phil 22:59 18 May 2005

Also.

How do I get the menu to display in FF the same way as it does in IE? Shading, borders and the timed animation.

The code generated by Nav Studio includes .js scripts for all browsers; FF, IE, Opera etc but it still looks naff in FF.

LeadingMNMs 19:21 19 May 2005

Ok, didn't think that was the actual problem in the end - but its solved it. Removing it shouldn't have any problems as far as I can see - and I'm not even sure why it was generated, if its going to be set to hidden.

To be honest, the HTML that has been generated is a mess and would have been much better with a stylesheet. Theres not much chance of anyone having the patience to go through all that HTML changing the style attributes so they display properly in both browsers (if it is even possible).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?