"page not available"

ened 12:38 30 Apr 2008

Can anybody suggest a reason why the above message should arise using Internet Explorer and yet, when using Firefox all pages are available?

This is on behalf of my aged parent who I am unable to get to see for a few weeks.

I asked him to check 'Work Offline' is not ticked and he has NO Restore Points available, which suggests something else is wrong.

Ditch999 12:46 30 Apr 2008

In IE Tools> Internet Options > Connections and make sure it is set correctly for whatever method he uses to connect to the internet eg dialup or BB or router

ened 13:42 30 Apr 2008

Thanks Ditch999 I have just asked him to have a look at that, although I originally set the connection up for him and he is connecting, so I am unsure if that will crack it.

Ditch999 14:12 30 Apr 2008

Under Internet Options there are also Security, Privacy and Advanced tabs. Tell him to click on Reset all zones to default level for Security, move the slider to the 3rd level up in Privacy and click Restore advanced settings under advanced. He should also make sure that the Content advisor is disabled (if it is disabled it will say Enable on the button) on the Content tab.

Ditch999 14:13 30 Apr 2008

He may have to close IE and open it again for the changes to take effect.

ened 14:51 30 Apr 2008

As per your 14:12 posting:

He has done all that and even followed the advice in my previous thread click here

That was in March but I have discovered today that it has deteriorated to the extent that no pages come up.

He must be connected because he has no problem with Firefox and getting his mail

His security settings are the same as mine (as he read them out to me).

Ditch999 15:27 30 Apr 2008

Have you tried uninstalling IE7 then reinstalling it?

Ditch999 15:32 30 Apr 2008

Heres two methods to repair IE7 click here

ened 15:41 30 Apr 2008

I don't think he has the XP disc, only a recovery partition, so re-installing is not an option.

Regarding you last post, method 2 is out for the same reason and I am goinbg to mail him the instructions for Method 1.

Thanks for that.

Ditch999 15:53 30 Apr 2008

Re method 2 and XP repairs. It is possible to tell Windows where to look for the files. click here
Have a look at the section called Controlling Source Path (or just borrow a XP disc)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017