"Page Loading" required

Ben Avery 14:46 07 Nov 2003

G'day

How could I design something similar to this click here so that when my page links are clicked on the "Loading" idea comes up.

I have plently of software but don't know where to start on this?!

Any ideas/requirements?

BA

phoenix_one 00:06 08 Nov 2003

The above is written in flash, hence the long loading.

Personally i do not see any need for any such loading graphic unless your site is written in flash??

Ben Avery 00:17 08 Nov 2003

have a look at the site and you'll see waht I mean. It is pretty graphic heavy and takes a while to pre-load.

Thats why I want the loading screen. I have flash 5 if I can use that to make the loading logo?

Site is click here

BA

AndySD 19:52 08 Nov 2003

Your image sizes are way too large. Especially the background image. Try getting the images smaller. eg click here

PurplePenny 21:56 08 Nov 2003

Just my personal opinion but I *hate* "page loading". I find myself swearing at the monitor "Yes I know it's b!@@?y loading... I've got a handy dandy bar on my browser that tells me that it's loading ... ".

It's bad enough having to wait whilst some Flash heavy page loads without adding insult to injury by being told that I am waiting. I usually end up not bothering to wait.

Just my two penn'orth :-)

Penny

Ben Avery 23:30 08 Nov 2003

Thanks for the note but I find that, with constant windows/isp faults rampant these days, pages which usually load quickly, can at times take much longer. Sometimes it's the isp's fault, sometimes the end user's PC but nevertheless, I know many people who, if the page doesn't load quickly, hit refresh constantly (which really doesn't help).

This was a plan to allow viewers to see that a "something is happening, please be patient" kind of thing is going on!

AndySD

I think you have the key - I will look at reducing my image sizes accordingly.

BA

Ben Avery 23:31 08 Nov 2003

FE

Do you know how to do the suggestion by AndySD in PhotoImpact without changing the quality of the image too much.

How would recommend I do it?

BA

slowhand_1000 19:01 09 Nov 2003

Ben

I am no web expert but it took about 30 seconds on 600kb broadband to load the page. I have added the size of images and they add up to 40 odd kb which should load in no time.
The pages I use on my site add up to about the same but seem to load a bit quicker.

Have you tried optimising the files, you should be able to save a few kb overall.

But it just seems to take too long for the page size. Someone may be able to point their finger at it.

Ben Avery 23:16 09 Nov 2003

I can put my finger right on it for you!

The server is afreebie and so has very limited bandwidth. This adds greatly to the load time. If you check it before 2pm GMT it is much faster as the average US users seem to come online heavily around this time, hyence the decrease in speed as they run thier own sites!

This is another reason for the loading images that I want. I don't mind waiting for a site I want to see as long as I know it is working. That's my theory anyway!

BA

Ben Avery 12:36 19 Dec 2003

Forgot to resolve this one. I moved my site to oneandone and now runs much faster.

I have added a page loading page too, although this will put some off, it can be skipped!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?