Is Page File usage significant?

ened 06:48 30 Apr 2004

Because I asked Corel Photo Paint to perform (what I thought)a simple task and the whole machine freaked out.
Ctrl/alt/del showed the cpu at 20% but the PF file which normally is 300/400mb had shot up to 1.5GB.
Also, for some reason, it was showing as having Corel in use twice.

Forum Editor 07:02 30 Apr 2004

you'll be well advised to install as much RAM as you can manage. Image files can be enormous, and resources vanish like the morning mist once you start shifting them around - even when performing quite simple tasks like yours.

Hard drive access times are slower than if your files were in RAM, so cram in the RAM if you want relief from the sound of your hard drive churning away.

Tog 07:14 30 Apr 2004

I use Corel (6 I think) and on copying a mask to file it quite often gives 'out of memory' errors. If I ignore the error and repeatedly try again it will eventually work. I'm guessing Corel doesn't manage it's memory too well in the first place which won't help the pagefile size. I have 256Mb installed, which was a lot when my version of Corel came out.

ened 07:19 30 Apr 2004

I have 1024meg DDR400 and I do a fair amount of image work - but I would have thought it would have used the RAM before the PF.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?