'Page cannot be displayed' in IE.

bazza2 13:05 21 Jul 2006

A friend has been getting the above message whenever he tries to use IE.
It happens for all sites.

Apparently he is able to use outlook express to send and receive e-mails, so his ISP connection works.

I had a look on Google recently and advised him to 'Delete Cookies', 'Delete Files' and 'Clear History' in Internet Options, but this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

Any other suggestions?

bazza2 16:16 31 Jul 2006

^^ Bump ^^

Does anyone have any views / suggestions on anything I've mentioned?

Many Thanks

Barry

skidzy 17:01 31 Jul 2006

Bazza,Everything you have said above sounds about right for now,if your friend has xp preinstalled...you may not need the disc.You may be able to roll IE back to an earlier version ...then reinstall the latest IE 6.At this time i would suggest staying away from IE 7 as its in Beta and has a few bugs.

Personally Firefox is a lot better.

bazza2 22:45 31 Jul 2006

I shall give it a go this week - hopefully Thursday, and let you know how I get on.

rdave13 23:33 31 Jul 2006

You could try this for a repair.

Start..search..all files and folders..more advanced option..click boxes "search system folders", "search hidden files and folders", "search subfolders". Type IE.inf in "all or part of the file name" box. Make sure searching the right hard drive eg. c:\. Click search. Once you have ie in the right hand pane then right click and click install in the dropdown menue. Once installed then reboot.

bazza2 23:29 01 Aug 2006

I believe I'm correct in saying that XP has a built in Firewall, which is automatically switched on with SP2.
Could it be that this is blocking his connection to the internet?

If so, how do I switch it off to test it?

rdave13 10:12 02 Aug 2006

Control panel..security center...click windows firewall,in the window that opens select off.

rdave13 10:41 02 Aug 2006

Have a look at this thread click here

bazza2 21:36 03 Aug 2006

It turns out that he has Norman Personal Firewall installed (that's Norman NOT Norton).

Being a Zonealarm user, I am not familiar with this product, but it appears that it was blocking all internet access.
I had a quick look through the settings, and could find anything obvious (like deny all access), so we turned the firewall off.

I know this is not an ideal solution, but at least my friend is now able to see the outside world, and more importantly he can now download his virus definitions, which he hasn't been able to do for the past few months.

We will try to find out what setting is blocking his access, but if the worst comes to the worst, we may uninstall NPF and install Zonealarm, which I know and trust.

Many thanks for all your help.

bazza2 21:38 03 Aug 2006

"I had a quick look through the settings, and could find anything obvious" should have read "I had a quick look through the settings, and couldn't find anything obvious".

bazza2 15:14 04 Aug 2006

However, if anyone out there uses Norman Personal Firewall, and can give me a few pointers, it would be more than appreciated.

Many thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017