This page cannot be displayed

Hetti 12:29 21 Jan 2005

Im getting this message almost every other time I click onto a link, it sometime happens I first try to acsess the internet. It just happend when I tried to post this message first time

Fjellman 12:47 21 Jan 2005

Hetti, you don't mention which browser you are using. If you have more than one make sure that you have selected it to be your default browser. I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser and if I try to use Internet Explorer I get the same symptoms as you are experiencing. Failing that I can only surmise that you are missing one of these small pieces of software like Shockwave or Macromedia that help a browser display properly.

Hetti 13:04 21 Jan 2005

Fjellman

I use IE and only have that one, if im missing some software how do I get it?
i should add this problem had started over the last two weeks , it was fine till then

961 13:58 21 Jan 2005

This is often connected to your security settings

Have you installed Windows SP2 or a new virus checker or firewall lately?

Hetti 18:52 21 Jan 2005

I have not installed any of the software you mention, this is a new PC about 3 months old and it came with Win SP2 already installed

Im not sure about my security settings, I have AVG, Spyware blaster, and Ad-aware installed, but they have been installedfrom day one

bremner 18:55 21 Jan 2005

Is this just today or always?

961 19:13 21 Jan 2005

If your problem has arisen over the last 2 weeks then try system restore to a date before then

What you describe is typical of firewall activity to secure the privacy of your computer

Spywareblaster will do this if the "flash killer" has been enabled (click "tools" at left of page)

Zone Alarm and other firewalls will do it if the settings are adjusted to prevent spyware

Internet explorer settings for Privacy and security can also do it if they are altered

Fjellman 20:53 21 Jan 2005

I think 961 has a good point. Try System Restore to a date that you know the computer was running smoothly and see if that does the trick.

Hetti 11:36 22 Jan 2005

Thanks all

I have done system restore, all seems fine at the moment!

bremner 11:47 22 Jan 2005

I spoke with BT yesterday as we have been having similar problems at work in South London with our Broadband.

They reported problems with their DNS servers and gave me a list of other addresses to try when the problem was particularly bad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?