Packard Bell Store and Save 3500 500GB - £160

Air_Man 14:07 31 Dec 2006

Anyone got any experience of this or similar PB devices? I am in PCW and they have it for £160 (£130 online).

I'm tempted but it seems so much cheaper than other brands?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

Technotiger 14:15 31 Dec 2006

Hi, personally I prefer the Seagate 320Gb external usb HD at about £70-£80, in PCW.

Technotiger 14:20 31 Dec 2006

Also seems to be a slight problem ...

click here

Legolas 14:23 31 Dec 2006

PCW are doing good deals on External HDD. I got a Maxtor 350GB for 69.99 last week. The price you are quoting isnt that much cheaper than other places click here these are of a similar price and spec

Air_Man 14:53 31 Dec 2006

Thanks Technotiger - I just want a stable backup so I can do without hassle like the contributor of the link you gave. I'll give it a miss.

Thanks also Legolas - I've been out of touch with backup devices and didn't realise the price wasn't actually that unusual.

I'll hold my urge-to-buy-today (which I always get when I get something in my mind) and do some proper research on the web. I always begrudge buying from PCW anyway as the customer service is always dreadful but when I want something for my PC that day, there's not a lot of choice really. There is definately room for a competitor out there - if only I had the money....

Air_Man 15:12 31 Dec 2006

I have now ordered the below from Amazon for what I consider a pretty good price. Decided to go with a trusted brand/product for the backup and with Technotiger's advice on the software. Last question (promise) - when I get them, should I bother installing the software that comes with the My Book before installing True Image, or would I be better off just installing True Image?

Thanks for everyone's help today - couldn't manage without the friendly assistance from PCA forum contributors!

Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential USB2.0 External Hard Drive - £132.99

"Acronis True Image 10 Home (PC)" CD-ROM; £23.97

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?