Packard Bell PCs and USB 2.0 Cards

PaulB2005 17:43 21 Jan 2006

Installing a USB 2 card for a neighbour - new iPod.

Packard Bell iMedia 5075 XP Home SP2

6 Port PCI USB 2.0 Card (USB20-PCI/6P) from click here

Installed drivers as per (very poor English destructions), shut down, anti static precautions, installed card, reboot. Card detected, drivers installed.

Plug in USB 2.0 Hard Drive to test - Message effectively says "This device would run faster on a USB 2 port". Then proceeds to install the drive as an Unknown device.

2 hours of System Restore, remove card, uninstall / reinstall, different PCI slot etc etc Nothing.

Drivers appear fine until you plug something in then it will only install things as an Unknown Device.

Tried my VIA based USB 2.0 Card - same thing. Both cards won't work in the P Bell PC.

I remember i had this problem before with a P P Bell and USB 2.0.

Do they not like it??

howard63 17:49 21 Jan 2006

p bell are a law unto themselves - you might need a p bell driver for usb 2.0 to make them work.

PaulB2005 17:51 21 Jan 2006

Cheers. Tried looking on P B site but nothing.

PaulB2005 18:43 21 Jan 2006

"I have bought a Belkin USB 2.0 Hi speed PCI card and attempted to install this today, and guess what. Nothing but problems. No driver recognition, lots of unknown devices turning up on device manager wizards etc. "

Exact same situation. Different card.

PaulB2005 19:45 22 Jan 2006

Card also doesn't work in another PC. Clean XP SP2 install, my USB 2 card doesn't need any manufacturers drivers.

However the new card does apparently. With and without the manufacturers drivers it just refuses to recognise any device plugged into it, stating the USB item is an Unknown Device. Update driver etc fails to sort it for the device as does any other install method.

Going to return as faulty.

However the USB 2 card in my PC which does work also doesn't work in the P Bell PC!!!!! It thinks it's a USB 1 Card and also randomly refuses to recognise devices or even recognise you've plugged anything in at all....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?