Packard Bell laptop not booting-even in safe mode!

theDarkness 19:20 23 Nov 2010

Packard Bell ARGC1 laptop not always booting, ive tried safe mode, and it usually freezes trying to load the drivers as the list appears on screen.
When it does boot, safe mode or not (out of sheer luck) I can move the move mouse, but nothing else. I think the system is struggling to load up all the vital system files, and there is possibly far too much set to boot up anyway (I managed to get msconfig running once, alot of useless internet toolbars etc, but when I tried to remove them from starting up, on the next boot it froze completely).

I have been told it has been working with no problems until now, so could this be the result of a virus?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 23 Nov 2010

Unlikely

Probably corrupt windows files or drivers

Op system?

You need to do a repair, how depends on op system and whether you have the disks or if the system is pre installed.

theDarkness 19:43 23 Nov 2010

Its XP, the bios states its a 2006 system. Not sure how to repair this one, my own XP discs wouldnt boot up either. The dvd drive works, but as with a standard boot, I usually get a blank screen. Ive had it on for the last half hour now (I managed to get a boot up into windows!), but the eggtimer is still on screen, its very slow, and absolutely nothing is showing as having loaded up in the windows sidebar on the bottom right next to the clock. I cant cntrl+alt+del, and unlike my previous attempt, the start button does nothing.

I dont think the owner wants anything kept aside from a couple of photos/doc folders, apart from that I can reinstall completely. If eventually possible! thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:11 23 Nov 2010

Set BIOS to Boot CD drive s first boot device and disable ALL other boot devices

Save and EXIT

Boot with the XP CD in the drive and do a repair install

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

theDarkness 20:40 23 Nov 2010

I tried the repair from cd earlier, but it kept giving me a black screen-but I guess its the only option now on such a damaged system, Ill just have to keep trying it until it decides to accept the disc! never give up, lol :)

I am worried that if I repair, I might lose the contents of the desktop (there are some documents folders) and some custom made folders? I am certain I did a repair before on another xp system, and files that were in the "my documents" folder (that were however in custom made folders) were missing when it was fully repaired?

thanks

theDarkness 21:05 23 Nov 2010

the xp disc eventually started up, but it keeps hanging indefinately on "setup is starting windows"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 23 Nov 2010

looks like the hard drive is corrupt

theDarkness 21:44 23 Nov 2010

I had to force it to switch off, and tried a reinstall/repair one last time.... its now at 30%! hopefully the users custom made folders/files are still on the desktop. if not ill try one of those programs which I can use to restore deleted files, as a last resort. hopefully the windows repair doesnt write over them on the hd.

if I get to 100% that is ;( lol

theDarkness 22:16 23 Nov 2010

"This portion of setup has completed successfully. Your computer will bootup in 15 seconds..."

...thats over 15 mins now :( Ill give it another try, if the repair keeps hanging at the same point then ill have to just try reading the files they wish to keep via an external laptop hard drive caddy, if available, connected to my desktop

theDarkness 22:41 23 Nov 2010

On boot up, it beeps and the BIOS screen comes up
"error 270: real time clock error"
and when selecting safe mode, I get a freeze when loading drivers, the last one in the list is
"multi(0)disck(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:46 23 Nov 2010

CMOS battery failure or IDE channel failure

It cheap to change the CMOS battery and retry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone