Packard Bell Ixtreme Motherboard

raziel08 13:40 05 Mar 2011

My relative has one of these very old pcs -

Windows XP - Intel Pentium 4

Currently the machine is longer operable - i haven't had a chance myself to look at it however they have been advised that the issue is with the Motherboard.

I believe that i have located the model of the board (P35-121-16B9) however after searching google and ebay i have come empty on a replacement.

We would like to be able to keep Windows XP installed however this is an OEM version and is tied into the hardware.

As i can't find an exact match to this motherboard i am wondering whether i can buy one that is compatible with the processor and will not be seen as a major upgrade (so that the windows installation doesn't think that i am installing it on a brand new machine.

Is this possible and can anyone suggest a compatible board?

bremner 14:06 05 Mar 2011

I have replaced many motherboards on XP OEM machines. Online activation has been declined but I have never then failed to successfully activate it over the phone.

gengiscant 14:11 05 Mar 2011

I'm with 'bremner' on this one, I have never understood the nonsense of OEM being tied to one PC and its hardware configuration. I have virtually rebuilt a PC using differ components with out any problem of activation.

raziel08 16:38 05 Mar 2011

Thanks for the comments - sounds like we should have no issues re-activating XP.

I'm going to have a look at the machine tomorrow to see if its actually the motherboard which is faulty.

One further question - has anyone recently re-activated XP over the phone since it is in the last years of its support?

I'm concerned that Microsoft will flat out refuse to activate it as its an outdated system.

raziel08 11:58 06 Mar 2011

Ok i had a chance to look at the machine. To begin with all was fine - it powered on (it showed a message on screen about the CMOS battery being low)and booted into windows.

left it for a few minutes and then started malware bytes to get rid of any nasties.

Found about 37 in a minute so left it to finish - checked back 5 minutes later and found the tv had lost the signal from the pc.

Reseated the VGA cable tna; the fans for the CPU and PSU were still running fine. However the power LED on the front was no longer lit and pressing the power button did nothing and wouldn't shut down.

I was forced to turn it off by the plug - started it up again however all the fans ran but still no signal.

Any ideas? could this be more of a PSU issue rather than the motherboard?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:07 06 Mar 2011

Fit a new CMOS battery before going any further.

raziel08 12:37 06 Mar 2011

Thanks - ok re-seated all of the cables and removed the Graphics card (an old 6200 Nvidia AGP card)and RAM, this didn't work either.

Tried the DVI connection on the graphics card and still nothing.

Oh and i replaced the CMOS battery and still nothing.

Looks like it really is the motherboard that has gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone