Packard Bell Imedia 1518 and floppy drive

Gongoozler 08:11 13 Jan 2006

A friend was given a Packard Bell Imedia 1518 for Christmas. As it had a space for a floppy drive and she really wanted to be able to use floppy disks, I offered to fit a drive for her. I bought the drive, fitted it in the case, plugged it into the motherboard and then went into the BIOS to enable the drive. Shock and Horror. There is no mention of floppy drives in the BIOS. Does anyone here know about these machines? Have I missed something somewhere? I intensely dislike Packard Bell, but surely if the motherboard has a floppy drive socket it makes no sense at all to remove it from the BIOS.

By the way, in this situation the usual thing is to refer to the manual, but the P-B manual is useless, and of course the BIOS is tailored for P-B.

MidgetMan 10:31 13 Jan 2006

you could try looking click here

jack 10:46 13 Jan 2006

I guess as everything evolves, so equipment is built with 'outgoing facilities' whilst new facilities are not around in this case, or perhaps are in a high spec machine.
As you said 'had space' your meant a spare 3.5 bay did you?
A 3.5 bay of course can take other stuff too like a multicard reader these days[but for how long?]
What you plugged into on the Mobo -was it in fact a floppy slot? or a spare ISA or even another sort of slot altogether[Raid perhaps -I am not entirely up on the possiblities I must admit]

Gongoozler 11:05 13 Jan 2006

Hi MidgetMan and jack. Thank you both for replying. I searched the PB forum and couldn't find any reference to this problem. I agree jack that things are evolving, and there is no point in fitting unneeded components. Yes the case has two 3.5 inch bays, the motherboard also has a floppy drive header adjacent to the IDE headers. What P-B appear to have done is to remove the floppy drive references from BIOS. This is what mystifies me. I can understand the motherboard maker saving money by not fitting unnecessary components, but I can't see any value at all in removing the ability to use components that are physically fitted to the motherboard.

jack 12:18 13 Jan 2006

As I hinted [I think - I very often have thoughts as I hammer away at this thing and on posting find they dont come out of the end of my fingers so to speak]
The PC,s like cars for example are a collation of bits'n'pieces from various manfacturers and the end builder makes up the products with what is available at the time- So an older spec MoBo with up to the minute chips set could concievabley have redundant slots,
Indeed I have recently repaired a machine that has a pair the long black slots that preceeded PCI and at the same time has a pair of USB 1 on the back plane
So what does that tell you?
I can't even recall a card that fitted the long black ones -Can you?

jack 12:23 13 Jan 2006

And then as I had coffee earlier [you see this a thought I had but didn't make to the page]
I read in the latetest edition of PCA through the door this morning - that MoBo bakers had been integrating Dial up modems on the board -which I was unaware of and now some dont - in anticipation it was assumed of the move to BB
I didn't know that!
Two steps out of touch - will we ever catchup?

MidgetMan 13:33 13 Jan 2006

Another way round the problem would be to use an exteral floppy drive click here

Gongoozler 18:10 13 Jan 2006

Hi again jack and MidgetMan. I agree that makers can't reasonably be expected to support obsolete technology, but I don't consider the floppy drive to be obsolete. Whereas the old ISA slot was superceded by the much more efficient PCI, I think the floppy still has a role to play. Admittedly the cd can hold much more data and the USB flash drive is fast and convenient for transfering data from one computer to another, the floppy is still cheap and simple for copying small amounts of data. The really daft thing to me is that the motherboard manufacturer has built into the motherboard the hardware needed to support a floppy drive click here#, but Packard Bell has removed the support in BIOS.

MidgetMan, I did think of a USB floppy, but for the friend cost is a major issue. The floppy drive I bought, and was going to fit as a gift, cost under £5, a USB floppy would cost about £20.

I Have never liked Packard Bell computers, and now hate them almost as much as I hate Time :-((

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 13 Jan 2006

Might just be labeled as FDC (floppy drive controller)

Gongoozler 20:15 13 Jan 2006

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\. No theres no mention of Floppy Disk at all. In this page from Packard Bell click here, where the BIOS Main screen mentions "Legacy Diskette A", the line just isn't there. They do say at the top of the page "Note: The screens of your BIOS setup utility may slightly differ from the screenshots shown here, due to the fact that during BIOS update options may have been modified, added or removed." I think this is one that has been removed.

jack 20:21 13 Jan 2006

Is it possible to download an admendment for the bios ?
Just a Thought

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?