Packard Bell iExtreme 6082 LAN failure

Squirrel1 20:18 28 Jan 2010

Recently I as asked to remove some malware from a Packard Bell iExtreme 6082 desktop. It was so badly infected that I had no choice but to wipe the system clean and reinstall Windows Xp Home edition SP1 and all the drivers.
The install went ok until I got to the LAN driver. This was not easy to find, but I eventualy discovered the LAN chip was a VIA VT6105 device.
The driver for XP was obtained from VIA Motherboards website and was installed. The LAN port was now functional and Windows was activated over the internet.
The problems started just after a Windows update had been carried out. The network adaptor is recognised in device manager, is shown as 'enabled' in network connections, but as soon as the pc tries to connect to the outside world (I have the network adaptor set to obtain IP address automatically and have tested all my cables with a LAN tester) a message tells me that 'a network cable is unplugged' when it is not.
Any suggestions? Because I will not be able to fully update to XP SP3 unless I can get the LAN port working. And no I do not have a spare PCI LAN card to hand.

cream. 20:38 28 Jan 2010

Check the routers configuration.
Try a different lan cable.
Uninstall the lan in device manager and reboot.

Squirrel1 20:52 28 Jan 2010

The router is working fine with any other PC I connect with, either wired or wilreless, and as I said I have checked the network cables (they are stright cables) with a LAN cable tester. I have not setup MAC filtering either. I have uninstalled the LAN driver rebooted the PC and then reinstalled the driver again....Still the same problem. The motherboard has a AMD processor and not an Intel CPU does this make a difference (all my pcs have Intel chips).

GaT7 21:06 28 Jan 2010

No, an AMD CPU should make no difference whatsoever.

"Because I will not be able to fully update to XP SP3 unless I can get the LAN port working. And no I do not have a spare PCI LAN card to hand."

Do you have a spare wireless adapter (PCI/USB) from one of your other PCs you could use temporarily to do this? G

Squirrel1 21:16 28 Jan 2010

Thank you Cream and Crossbow 7

I didn't think the processor make would make a difference (clutching at straws).

I do have a USB 802.11g dongle and will be trying this. I did install a Belkin PCI wireless card but after I installed it I discovered that it did not support WPA-PSK :-(
We will try the USB dongle (B...tard to install under windows but works straight away under Linux). Perhaps after all the updates have been applied the LAN may come back to life?
Does anyone else have any suggestions please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache