Packard Bell hidden partition?

I-W 12:01 19 Feb 2005

I'v got an Packard Bell pc which has a red floppy dick to restore factory settings. This floppy starts the image of the setting from the HDD. Now I was wondering were this image was keep on the disk. I found something that looks like it but not to sure. The address of the file is C:\ACTIVDOC\APPS\SCOL\PARTITION. Could any one please confim if this is the file. It seems to have all the documents and applications that came with the pc.

sinbad1 12:10 19 Feb 2005

I have a packard bell yes partition is hidden:but not sure you have the right files, think active docs is only reference file of data and apps.You cannot access this hidden partion is there only for recovery using your floppy and smart restore program.
A nightmere system from PB

dan11 12:15 19 Feb 2005

" I'v got an Packard Bell pc which has a red floppy dick to restore factory settings."

perhaps an urgent appointment at the doctors may be advisable?

sinbad1 12:17 19 Feb 2005

Have you made restore CDs using smart restore option?

I-W 12:20 19 Feb 2005

LOL OOP'S! I guess this is not the place to talk about my medical problem

gudgulf 12:23 19 Feb 2005

It's not the file you mention.The hidden recovery partition is just that,hidden.If you have a partition manager tool such as Acronis or partition magic that will reveal the partition and let you see ow big it is.I have a Packard Bell pc with a 20GB hard drive...the hidden partition uses 1.5GB of that .

I'm wondering why you want to locate it? As for Active Doc if I remember rightly this is a problem solving application that is supplied with the computer (I never used it) and nothing to do with the restore function.

I-W 12:23 19 Feb 2005

Not as yet. I'v always used the red floppy DISK. what does the restore cd's back up. Is it all thats on the partition or the documents and setting?

sinbad1 12:42 19 Feb 2005

If u make restore cds from smart restore oftion it will remove the partition saving space and then u can use these cds to reinstall the system.
NOTE if your partition becomes currupt for some reason like mine did u would have no way of restoring your computer as the floppy would not work.If u had the cds then in the event the partition became currupt you would be able to re install.
Word of advice do not use partition magic on PB computers it damages the hidden partition.

sinbad1 12:49 19 Feb 2005

If I had made those discs I would have been ok I had to reformat and load new op system Preinstalled os is a pain much better to have xp installation disk.Cheaper for PB a pain for us

Eargasm 15:25 19 Feb 2005

My packard bell came with a 40gb hdd.
The hidden partition was about 2gb as drive D:

To locate it, Control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management(local) and it should be listed there.

I would strongly suggest that you take sinbad1's advice and create master cd's that back up all of the hidden partition in case of HDD failure.

It is also possible to create a bootable xp cd from your I386 folder(depending on the size of it)and even slipstream it with sp1.

Whilst these are not the most straightforward instructions in the world,you might find this thread of interest.click here
Regards.

I-W 16:19 20 Feb 2005

I was just wondering were the hidden partition was. Just being curious. Thanks eargasm I'll have a look. The pc I'v been working on is getting on now so backing up the patition drive I think would be a good idea. Thank you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?