Packard Bell Easynote - possible hard drive issue

dboxall123 17:21 24 Apr 2015

Hello all,

A friend of mine has recently asked me to see if I can fix her computer. The problem is that Windows fails to start (with the fault code "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible").

This is not the first time that this has happened. A few months ago she took it to some PC repair shop. All that they done was charged her for a new copy of windows and then charged her again for installation.

Well, it happened again, and it would seem as though just reinstalling windows was not the solution (obviously!). I've tried inserting a windows disk and repairing it - doesn't work. I also tried booting it with a linux disc so that I can save her pictures, but I cannot even mount the hard drive.

This seems to be an issue with the hard drive itself. Are there any tests that I could/should do before replacing it? Could it be anything else?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 24 Apr 2015

inserting a windows disk and repairing it - doesn't work.

Click Repair your computer.

Select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type Bootrec.exe, and then press Enter.

rdave13 20:17 24 Apr 2015

Not sure if SpeedFan can see an external usb drive but if you can get the drive connected to a PC via USB caddy try running SpeedFan. Select the S.M.A.R.T. tab and then the drop down arrow. If it sees the USB drive click on the drive in the menu. It will give an indication of fitness and performance.

Not 100% accurate as these S.M.A.R.T. programs are but should give a fair indication on the state of the drive.

You can also check online clicking the "Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk".

1]: [click here

lotvic 21:51 24 Apr 2015

"tried booting it with a linux disc so that I can save her pictures, but I cannot even mount the hard drive"

did you try the force mount? as per instructions on ClickHere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?