P5B-E Mobo Errors after XP Re-install

FCD 10:43 11 Nov 2008

I have a C2D system which has been running on a P5B-E mobo for 18 months and connected via ethernet to another home computer. Following a network problem which I could not resolve {including updating BIOS, I re-formatted and re-installed windows.

The network problem was resolved but, after installing all dtivers from the mobo support CD, I have 2 problems:

a. On boot up, XP finds an unknown new PCI hardware device which is shown in device manager under Other Devices. I have been unable to install any driver or identify this device.

b. I have 2 cd drives installed {which ran fine before] but now XP only sees one of these drives. I have checked that both are working.

Other than removing the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS and start again and I at a loss.

So very garteful for any advice.

John R

ambra4 16:32 11 Nov 2008

“On boot up, XP finds an unknown new PCI hardware device which is shown in device manager under Other Devices. I have been unable to install any driver or identify this device:”

This is the CD drive that is not showing up

This might work to get your drives showing download and run

click here

FCD 07:54 13 Nov 2008

Thanks all. Eventually found two separate issue:

Flashing BIOS had reset JB Micron controller to PATA/SATA IDE which gave only a a single channel IDE mode. Resetting to SATA gave back dual channel IDE.

The "odd" unrecognised PCI device was to do with a microsoft HD Audio KB which I found in the Add/remove programmes list. I removed it {have a separate audio card} and the device disappeared.

John

ambra4 10:30 13 Nov 2008

Tick box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone