Overseas SIM card for phone

stlucia 11:41 15 Apr 2007

I often travel to Thailand and, rather than pay the large bills from using my UK phone whilst there, I would like to use a local network SIM card.

Is it as simple as:-

1. Get my phone unlocked by my provider (Orange);
2. Buy a "Starter kit" in Bangkok, which presumably gives me a SIM card with a connection to a local network?

X™ 11:47 15 Apr 2007

What phone do you have?

It's probably cheaper to get yours unlocked, if the other sims work in your Phone, should do.

And you'r used to the phone and the lanuage. What phone do you have, I might be able to send you a code to unlock it.

Meshuga 11:47 15 Apr 2007

Suggest you ask in a mobile phone forum since this forum is for PC problems.

stlucia 12:28 15 Apr 2007

X™, it's a Nokia 6170.

Mushuga, this is the only forum I'm registered with, and I've seen a few phone questions answered here. Any suggestions for a good mobile phone fourm, please?

Forum Editor 13:53 15 Apr 2007

we're quite happy to deal with your problem, and it looks as if you're getting some helpful advice.

I also travel to Thailand fairly often on business, and like most people I don't fancy paying the hefty roaming call charges that my UK provider comes up with.

Here's what you do:-

1. Get your UK phone unlocked before you travel.

2. Go to a Thai phone shop (I use Telewiz). Ask for a 1-2-Call Starter Kit (around 300 baht). 1-2-Call is the biggest network in Thailand and has the best coverage of a pretty poor bunch – don't expect the same kind of coverage you get here, unless you're staying in Bangkok.

3. Replace your existing SIM card with the 1-2-Call SIM card.

4. Dial *120 on the phone and press the Call button. This will connect the SIM to the network.

5. Listen to the automated service and follow the instructions. Press 2 to select English when prompted. It will take around 30 seconds, and you;ll have 100 baht credit to get going.

To call or text people in other countries, dial 001 + country code + the person’s number, minus the first zero of their number.

Meshuga 14:58 15 Apr 2007

stlucia, try click here

tullie 15:15 15 Apr 2007

Dont mean to hijack this thread,but can anyone give me similer advice on using my vodafone mobile in Turkey?

stlucia 20:59 15 Apr 2007

Thanks FE. Yes, I was looking at the 300 Baht 1-2-Call starter kit last vist, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it and the helpers in the shop I was in hadn't come across someone trying to use one in a foreign phone, so I didn't buy. Now I know, I'll be getting one next visit.

Thanks Meshuga for the link to that phone forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?