Overriding or Finding Password in Vista.

23790954 20:44 28 Apr 2010

Hello there again to all you good forum members.
This time I require help from any laptop technicians out there.
My daughter, bought my 10 year old granddaughter,
a Toshiba laptop, for her Christmas.
Everything went very well until a couple of months ago, when my 10 year old granddaughter, took it upon herself, to safeguard her laptop, by putting a password onto it, which she HAS to use to log on. Well the worst thing possible has happened, she has FORGOTTEN her password, and cannot now log onto the laptop. I have tried various programmes like PWR CD, and OPHCRACK, without success.
Can anyone give me any advice on how to recover her password, in VISTA, so that she can log onto her laptop. Many thanks for all advice and suggestions given.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 28 Apr 2010

If you cannot log on to Windows by using a particular user account, but you can log on to another account that has administrative credentials, follow these steps on how to do the trick:

1. Log on to Windows by using an administrator account that has a password that you remember.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type “control userpasswords2?, and then click OK.
4. Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.
5. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.

ventanas 09:30 29 Apr 2010

And when you've got back in create a password reset disc

click here

Won't matter if it gets forgotten again then.

23790954 12:53 29 Apr 2010

Many thanks for your input Fruit Bat, you always have been very helpful on this forum. Have tried your suggestion, but keep getting blocked by vista security warning that a programme is attempting to enter a secure code, and asking for password. Thanks anyway.
ventanas, I have also tried your suggestion, which I thought was going to work, but again it does not work. Apparently, when trying this, a windows vista password reset disc, will only work on on particular account, and I cannot gain access into that account, because I do not have my granddaughters password, to gain access.
I tried creating a vista password reset disc, in another account on a laptop, and using it to reset my granddaughters password, and gain access into her laptop, but again it does not allow you to gain access this way, as the reset disc was not made from the correct account.
I do find it a strange situation, that about.com advertises this method, when you HAVE to get into the particular account, in order to create a password reset disc. If I new my granddaughters password, I would not need this disc.
Many many thanks Fruit Bat, and ventanas, your help has been and is very much appreciated.
From a Granddad who is trying his best to help his granddaughter. Any further suggestions would still be appreciated.

peter99co 13:10 29 Apr 2010

Sit the little one down and gently ask her to write down words she would use if she wanted a password. Where was she when she did the password and what was she thinking about that day etc.

It may be you will have to replace the 'innards' that hold the password. (where is the password kept??)

DieSse 14:24 29 Apr 2010

If it was easy to bypass passwords, they wouldn't be much use would they?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again on pain of being called pedantic - the forum rules preclude giving assistance in bypassing passwords, for, I would have thought, very obvious reasons.

Sea Urchin 14:29 29 Apr 2010

You slightly missed the point of the link from ventanas - the password reset disk has to be made when you originally set the password - it's too late to do it now. The suggestion was that in the future (once you are back in the account) you create a disk so that this problem won't occur again.

ventanas 16:21 29 Apr 2010

This is a problem, unlike XP it is not possible to log on as the administrator as opposed to a user, because if there is only one user, that user is the admin account(although it runs as a standard user). The admin account has to be enabled before it can be used, and that is not possible now.

If the password cannot be remembered it may be necessary to format and reinstall Windows, but everything on the machine will be lost.
This is assuming it's a Windows password that's been forgotten. If it's a bios password then I don't think there is much that can be done, apart from get a new laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 29 Apr 2010
  23790954 16:45 29 Apr 2010

Thanks for all your help forum members, I will have to look for another way.
DieSse, having studied the forum rules closely, I can find NO mention of a restriction being put on my request.
I have been involved in the legal system all my life, and I am NOT doing anything illegal by asking such a question. The web is FULL of such information, for people who want to use it in the wrong way. I DO NOT need any advice on the british legal system, as I spent many years studying such.

DieSse 19:44 29 Apr 2010

They do appear to have changed their rules, and I suspect recently - and in which case I apologise for my out-of-date comment.

However, I will always refrain from helping unknown people hack past password protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?