Is this overkill (spyware utilities)

daisy2bell 09:56 28 Mar 2007

I have the following on my computer, and wanted your thoughts on weather this is overkill.
What would you say is the ideal setup.

a squared, AdAware, AVG Antispyware, Ccleaner, Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot, Spyware Terminator.
Also I have AVG free (antivirus) and McAfee firwall, plus the routers firewall.

johndrew 10:25 28 Mar 2007

No, it`s not overkill in my opinion. I run the same as you less Spyware Terminator for malware and my firewall is Kerio.

You should note that Ccleaner is not anti-malware it is a registry cleaner only.

If you want more confidence on what you have look at the next to last post from POADB in this thread click here

Belatucadrus 11:00 28 Mar 2007

It's a matter of opinion, but I on the other hand do think seven anti spyware products on top of AV and two firewalls is overkill.
I make do with :-
avast!, anti virus.
Kerio, Firewall.
Spware Terminator, Real time spyware protection & scan.
Spyware Blaster, Spyware blocker.
SuperAntispywarefree, for occasional double checks.

I also use Ccleaner, but don't count it as security, unless you class dumping cache and cookies in a maintenance routine as a security feature.

i dont know wether it's overkill, personnaly having all those programs running, updates etc would drive me mad, Imho i firewall, 1 av 1/2 antispyware is more than enough. depends what the pc does i suppose

Stuartli 11:07 28 Mar 2007

I wouldn't term CCCleaner as "just a Registry cleaner"...:-)

Two firewalls is OK if you use, say ZoneAlarm, and also have a modem router with a firewall enabled.

I've just ditched AVG AntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator after trying them out and retained SpywareBlaster, Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware 1.6SE, adding SUPERAntiSpyware to the mix.

Avast! is used as the anti-virus utility - very effective and automatically updates itself.

RobCharles1981 11:12 28 Mar 2007

Im using

Avast
Comodo Firewall

Spywareterminator
Spywareblaster

Spybot
Adaware
ASquared
SuperAntispyare

Fingees 11:21 28 Mar 2007

Just a point.

Only use one antivirus ,as they tend to interact, and cause problems.

I use AVG antivirus (free)

AdAware) (Free)

CCleaner. It actually cleans out all unnecessary bits and pieces, not just a registry cleaner.

For fiirewall I use the new Microsoft incorporated in Vista, I used Zone alarm when I had XP.

bretsky 11:39 28 Mar 2007

My combo is

NOD32 A/V 2.7
Zone Alarm firewall v6.5.737.000(free ed)
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
a2 squared free ed
AVG 7.5 Anti-spyware-full version
Winpatrol plus version
CCleaner
Advanced Task Manager-full version

bretsky ;0)

Technotiger 11:57 28 Mar 2007

Hi, one or two of you there in over-kill IMHO ...
I use AVG Free, AdAware SE Pers Free, Kerio Pers Firewall Pro and have a Hardware firewall in Router.
I did say on a thread recently that I had never had a virus of any sort, but thinking about it afterwards, that was not strictly true - I did have one virus about four years ago, but other than that I can say quite honestly that I have never had any security/virus problems. Plus a little bit of common sense i.e. not opening strange emails or attachments, or strange links in emails, has kept my system nice and clean - along with the normal routine disk cleanup maintenance.

daisy2bell 12:23 28 Mar 2007

Thanks guys for your response. I'll just sit tight for more replys and then it is decision time.
Could running what I have, actualy slow down the machine?

Belatucadrus 12:50 28 Mar 2007

The only ones that are likely to have any impact on the PC are the ones with a real time cover component :- Defender, Spyware Terminator, Spybot ( If you have the teatimer on ), AVG & the McAfee firewall. The others are passive programs that only do anything to load the system when scanning. Generally they just sit on your C drive doing nothing. SpywareBlaster sets passive killbits to block spyware, so while not active if properly enabled it's still done its thing.

This generally applies to the free versions, I know the paid for versions like AVG Antispyware offer a bit more and they may add live components to the RAM requirement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?