Overheating under full Load

Dave.S 17:09 17 Jun 2009

Hi, Has anyone any suggestions for my problem ! Under normal load my computer runs fine but if I do anything like Video Encoding, using the CPU at 80-100% the computer turns off after getting rather Hot. I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ in a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 board. I have used the 'Easytune 5' software that came with the board to check the temp of the CPU and have seen it record a high of 104 degrees C.
Could it be a faulty sensor ? as when i stop the video software from running the temp drops to normal within 45 seconds. I also had this problem last year and changed the CPU heatsink and fan for a better one, this seemed to cure it for a while but the problem is now back again and i am at a loss as to what the cause could be.
Thanks for any help / suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 17 Jun 2009

Definately too high, Isuggest removing heatsink and fan clean off old theremal paste and put on new, clean heatsink fins and check fan is running correctly oil if necessary.

citadel 17:29 17 Jun 2009

a very thin layer of paste as too much increases heat, arctic silver is good, check that the fan on the cpu is speeding up as the cpu gets hotter.

mooly 17:51 17 Jun 2009

Is it possible to "underclock" it in some way.

OTT_Buzzard 17:58 17 Jun 2009

Can you check what the CPU voltage is set to? Over-volting will cause excess temperatures.

Download CPU-Z (click here - freeware) to get the information.

Rapid temperature drops are normal after you stop stressing the CPU - it should drop at least 10 to 15 degrees within 10 seconds and then be back to normal within a minute or so.

Also worth checking for:

Dust build up in the CPU cooler and
System fan speed settings

Dave.S 16:12 18 Jun 2009

Everything is set to 'Auto' in the BIOS. Easytune reports VcoreA = 1.15 volts and CPU VID = 1.32 volts and fan speed of 3325 RPM.
I have looked in the BIOS to see if I could 'Underclock' it but cannot see how and have emailed Gigabyte about this ! with no response as yet.
I have also ordered some Artic silver to try and have installed an extra 12cm fan in side of my case, two 12cm fans also in front/back of case all running at around 2000 RPM. Noisy and still no better.

OTT_Buzzard 16:28 18 Jun 2009

Not sure what Vcore A is - it's too low for a normal processor voltage. Your CPU should be running in the range of 1.30v - 1.35v.

Can you check what CPU-Z reports when the system is underload? It's possible that the processor voltage is set to increase with work load. 1.15v s unlikely to provide enough power to operate the CPU under load.

Underclocking the CPU should be a last resort - you will lose performance with no guarantee that it will fix the problem.

Installing additional case fans was a good idea, pity it didn't work!

When you installed the new cooler did you use the thermal paste supplied with it? If so, was it supplied already applied, or in a tube / bag to do yourself?

Dave.S 16:50 18 Jun 2009

CPU-Z reports a core voltage of 1.104 to 1.34 at normal load. under full load ranged from 1.376 to 1.392.
When i installed the new cooler i used the thermal paste supplied which was already applied.
Easytune / pchealth recorded a temp of over 90 degreess c within 4 mins to get the above figures.

OTT_Buzzard 17:12 18 Jun 2009

1.392v sounds too high for your CPU and could certainly be causing (at least part of) your overheat issue.

Manually set the CPU voltage in BIOS to 1.32V (i.e. the CPU's VID).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?