Overheating?

tomtom10 21:59 06 Mar 2005

I have a 3 Year Old PC (Athlon XP 1800+, 1.2Ghz Appx) And recently the CPU fan has been making these strange 'buzzing' sounds, on startup, but gradually die down. On the temperature monitor, it first reads 40*C, but then increases to over 65*C in around 5-10 Minutes, even when I do non-processor intensive work (like web browsing). To avoid damage, I then shut it down. Should I buy a new CPU fan?

Gongoozler 22:04 06 Mar 2005

CPU fans are about the most common failures in a computer. Fortunately replacements are cheap. If you get a heatsink with the same size fan, you can even replace just the fan by unscrewing the old one and screwing the new one in its place. Have a look at what is available here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:04 06 Mar 2005

Check nothing is interfering with the fan i.e. a cable to a CD or HDD.

Case air vents are free, PC not sat on carpet.

A system fan may also help approx £4

phono 22:53 06 Mar 2005

I totally agree with Gongoozler, however, if you do replace just the fan, make sure there isn't a load of dust and fluff left between the fins of the heatsink.

A build up of dust and fluff will reduce the heatsink/fan's cooling capacity.

Be careful what way you remove any build up, static electricity must be avoided at all costs.

tomtom10 17:53 07 Mar 2005

Thank you for all of your help. New PC fan is as quiet as a mouse. It doesn't have the problem anymore, and the temperature is on a safe 45*C.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?