Overclocking or not?

Blissco 20:37 06 Jun 2010

Hi, I've been looking to purchase a new gaming computer around the budget of £2300.
I found two that I like, but I have a question about them. The second one I found had a 1500W PSU with 6 GB 1600 mhz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB Hard Drive, and 2x 5970 2GB (4GB Total)
It also had a 2.8 Ghz Quad Core i7, would it be worth overclocking it to 3.8 Ghz?
It is a pretty high overclock, but all the other specs are high too, could I overclock it with total ease and no problems?
Or, should I just go for the second computer with a....

1000W PSU, 2x Radeon 2GB 5970 (4GB Total 6 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, and an i7 Quad Core 3.2 Ghz?
I could also overclock that by 20%, but the doubts I'm having about the this one is...

;It only has 1000W, the first one I listed has 1500W
;Its RAM is 1333Mhz, the first one listed is 1600Mhz.

So, should I go for the first one or second?
The second one listed also comes from the USA, and is $3530 is I want to overclock it by 20%
The first one I listed is £2231.

So, the main question is, would I be able to overclock the 2.8 Ghz to 3.8 Ghz with no problems through Internet Browsing and Gaming?

OTT_B 21:48 06 Jun 2010

The difference in RAM freq. really doesn't make any difference in any real world test i've seen, so don't worry about it.

Don't order fromt the US, unless you're in the US. The import duty will be nasty and add a whacking great percentage on the cost of the PC.

I'd err on the side of caution with the PSU if you intend to overclock. Go big, go Gold 80+ rated.

For overclocking, make sure that any PC you but has avaialability to overclock before ordering. Not all motherboards will let you do it. Please also note that overclocking will almost certainly invalidate a warranty. Assuming that the motherboard hasn;'t been locked out, there's no possible way to say if an overclock from 2.8ghz to 3.8ghz will be possible. Identical mobo's, RAM and processors have completely different overclock limits. If you can overclock then you may require an uprated CPU cooler.

One last thought: for the money you are spending and the performance you seem to want, think about getting an SSD to run games and apps from. It's worth infinitely more than a few extra MHz of RAM freq.

Blissco 21:51 06 Jun 2010

I don't have to worry about the motherboard, they overclock it before sending it out, so I only get to pick a few motherboards when I'm asking for it.

And what're the advantages of an SSD? I've seen the Solid SD's around, but I still am clueless about the advantages.

OTT_B 22:03 06 Jun 2010

Advantages of SSD? Speeeed, baby, speeeed.

So much of a PCs performance s bottlenecked at the hard drive because they can't access data fast enough. SSDs don't suffer to the same degree.

click here wikipedia entry has a fairly good round up of advantages and disadvantes (and there are a few disadvantes, although few of them would affect most people for a long time)

OTT_B 22:05 06 Jun 2010

[don't ask what's going on with my typos of 'disadvantages'!!]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?