Is overclocking that easy and useful?

Cabochon 09:53 10 Mar 2007

Hi Folks,
I was thinking of putting together a `free` upgrade which would save me the cost by using less electricity (which costs about £1 per watt over a year)
The Intel E6300/E6400 dual core CPU`s apprently use a lot less power than standard ones so seemed like the thing to go for, saving their cost in not much over a year.
Then I found out about overclocking. Apparently one can overclock the E6x00 CPU`s to run at nearly double speed, which sounds like it might be a good idea (eg using the ASUS P5B-E Plus motherboard) (would need a new motherboard anyway)
The questions are, i assume running a E6300 at 500 Mhz instead of the standard 266 Mhz will generate more heat. If the heat produced is proportional to the bus speed then I might be back near the 140 - 300 watts of a standard CPU. And what does one get with overclocking/more bus speed in real terms?
Is this something worth pursuing or am I way off beam? saving £100 a year on CPU and fan power does sound good.

Belatucadrus 10:23 10 Mar 2007

Is overclocking easy ? Not too difficult.

But, as you've pointed out, it will work it harder and heat dissipation becomes marginal, you will probably need to upgrade the heat exchanger and fan unit.
Is it worth doing ? That'll depend a lot on what you intend to do with the PC. Generally speaking gamers who want to squeeze the last possible ounce of performance from the CPU will say yes, nearly everybody else will say no. When your main point for making the change is to save power then overclocking would appear to be entirely counter-productive.
You may like to read this click here has a few hints on how to optimise power savings in the BIOS.

The Brigadier 14:36 10 Mar 2007

You can seriously screw a pc up with clocking!
OK in the days of low spec Pentiums it was fun to clock your P90 to run as if a P120.

But these days with such quick P4 pc's & dual core with quad coming into the market my question is why do it??

Totally-braindead 16:19 10 Mar 2007

I personally think the risks are too high, heat is the killer with overclocking and since my PC runs everything I can throw at it at the moment I see no point in risking destroying my PC.

Others are free to disagree with me of course but the gains seem to be rather small to me considering the risks involved. Increasing the speed of the PC by say 10 or even 15% is not much of a boost considering the risk.

Forum Editor 16:52 10 Mar 2007

is a little like adding all kinds of gizmos to your car's engine to make it go faster. The result may be a bit of extra speed, but the penalties in terms of additional engineering stress isn't worth the gain.

Arnie 23:57 10 Mar 2007

An excellent analogy.

cowboy62 14:34 11 Mar 2007

not advisible to over clock ur machine this can do some serious damage

User-312386 14:51 11 Mar 2007

The Intel E6300/E6400 dual core are very fast chips anyway.

Dont overclock it, if you buy one, use it and the speed is very good anyways

SLAYER 15:31 11 Mar 2007

Whereas I don't overclock it is well recognized that CPU,gpu,mem etc run a lot slower than they are capable of.
As to benefits,you could by a cheaper chip and ramp it up.Equally with the Gpu.
Your choice.

Cabochon 04:13 21 Apr 2007

Thanks for the info, will upgrade to an E6300, have heard their prices are about to drop by 40%, waiting for that.

GEEKSTA 23:26 21 Apr 2007

There was something on the gadget show a few weeks ago about this.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?