Overclocking advice please with Asus P5E3 Deluxe M

User-FCAB1FAF-5F56-42E6-A2FC5454DEE486F8 17:31 19 Oct 2008

Hi

My pc specs are as follows

Case: Antec 1200 Hundred all 5 case fans set to defult.

Asus Geforce GTX 260 card fan set at 40% (auto)
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.40Mhz
Frezzer 7 Pro cpu fan
4 gig ram OC Platinum 1333 MHz timmings 7-7-7-20
Vista 64bit
Samsung F1 Spinpoint 1TB hard drive
LG Dvd-RW drive
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Gamer card

With the above set up how do I go about overclocking my system to run my cpu at a safe speed.

Temps as they are now taken from PC Wizard Pro

Idle CPU all 4 cores no higher then 25 / 30c full load after games 35c
GPU 43c at desktop 67c after gaming
Hard drive idle 19c gameing 25c

Any advice / settings or sites on my system be great what sort of speed can i get cpu up to safely..

Thank you for reading and your time.

there's no safe advice, every component is different, they are set to a standard clock setting because that's what the manufacturer believes to be safe. It's trial and error if you have a good cpu it will clock high, some will clock higher than others. some motherboards are good for overclocking some fail dreadfully with a mild overclock. the motherboard/ chipset is the most crucial part as this controls everything, that needs to speak to each other.
if you are not prepared to replace anything you break, don't bother trying. if you overclock slightly you wont see any difference if you overclock enough to make a difference watch your temps. you have probably voided your warrenty and almost certainly shortened the life of one or more components, this shouldn't matter as they will probably life well past their 'needs upgrade' date anyway.
get advice from motherboards forum, i overclock using multiplier and voltage settings only from bios, this is because my motherboard is built to overclock and auto compensates all ram timings, voltages etc. you can then tune the cores up seperatly with software from motherboard site.
things may seem fine, remember some games hate overclocked systems some don't.
run a thrash test like prime '95 to test temps watch it for the first 30 minutes and leave it at least overnight to test stability. many leave it running longer.
i do this because computers is my hobby, you will probably have some problems it's up to you, stable system that plays everything at full settings or a mildly faster short lived dead one!
know the risks make your choice.
good luck.

also get advice on vista 64 bit and quad core overclocking. prone to bsod's.

woodchip 19:14 19 Oct 2008

cannot understand the whys of overclocking now as PC are that cheap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?