Overclocking?

Depakjan 08:51 24 Jun 2006

What is overclocking.. What improvement will it do.. I am having a kob845glndsmx motherboard and 256mb ram.. 64mb onboard video ram and pentium 4 1.7ghz processor.. Can i overclock..

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:56 24 Jun 2006

There is no point in overclocking unless you are a bonkers gamer and with your spec it would be a waste of time. Sticking in more RAM will be of much more benefit especially as 512Mb is around £40 at the moment.

G

Mr Mistoffelees 09:04 24 Jun 2006

As GANDALF <|:-)> suggests, buy more ram if you want to see a real improvement in performance.

Depakjan 07:14 25 Jun 2006

I am a gamer and.. I did try a 512mb ram guys.. But it din improve my performance at all.. I had a game incredibles.. In that with 256mb ram i got only 6fps.. So i got one 256mb ram from my friends and put in my system.. I got the same 6fps.. It din improve a little..

Diodorus Siculus 08:03 25 Jun 2006

Without a dedicated graphics card you will not get anywhere trying to overclock. Does your motherboard have an AGP slot?

Depakjan 21:58 25 Jun 2006

I have agp1.. But its not good enough i know.. So if i have to overclock i should be having a graphics card and more ram.. But i need to know what is overclocking.. And what improvement does it do..

?.NL 22:02 25 Jun 2006

overclocking is where you change how things are run.

For example increasing the FBS of a CPU.

It is normally done in BIOS altho there are programs that will do it.

It will only make a small imporvements to the best of machines, and will greatly decrease the life or the hardware.

Belatucadrus 22:14 25 Jun 2006

click here for a tutorial, but as has been stated the addition of RAM and a graphics card is going to be more effective and much lower risk. But if you do decide to overclock you'll have to upgrade the CPU fan as overclocking will hike the heat output a lot. Leave the standard fan and if you're lucky it'll crash, if your unlucky it'll fry.

Strawballs 23:32 25 Jun 2006

click here try looking here, a forum dedicated to overclocking.

DieSse 23:37 25 Jun 2006

Even if you did risk it, asnd managed to overclock it a little - it ain't gonna solve your problem - which we discussed earlier click here

It's very helpful to put a link in to your earlier posts, so that everyone can see the full extent of the discussions about your issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?