Outpost or Sygate free firewalls?

theDarkness 15:10 20 May 2007

anyone know which is best, outpost or sygate firewall? or do they use the same update service and are pretty much identical in what they do? many magazines say free firewalls are often just as good than what you would normally pay for (im not sure if they still offer a free version of either of the above though, couldnt see anything on their official websites).

i used to use zonealarm, but the firewall has a problem in xp which allows it to switch off automatically on its own (strange vector problem, reinstalling xp doesnt help for very long with the latest ZA either!), so i thought it might be a good idea to try another. thanks for any info on any free (or not) firewalls that would be worth trying, if anyone can, related to the above or not it doesnt matter

Belatucadrus 16:45 20 May 2007

Both Outpost and Sygate free are now unsupported, but as Firewalls aren't dependant on signature updates to function, this doesn't mean they can't still do the job.
If you're looking for a free still supported alternative to ZoneAlarm try :-
Sunbelt Kerio click here
R-Firewall click here
Netveda click here

Technotiger 16:47 20 May 2007

Hi, I use Kerio, the paid for version, but you can get the Free version from click here It starts off as a trial version which gives the the Full version for the first 30 days, if you don't want to buy it after that, you can still use the Free version, which IMHO is better than any of the other free firewalls anyway. Though no doubt others will come on with there own preferences too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?