Outlook v Outlook Express

R.C.M. 18:04 09 Aug 2006

I read that Microsoft was not supporting the development of outlook express in the future, and they expect people to change to Outlook.

If this information is correct should I change now or wait?

DieSse 18:16 09 Aug 2006

I would imagine that even if true, it simply means that OExpress will not be developed further. Since it's a pretty simple email client only, that wouldn't worry me too much.

If it does what you want, why change. It's free - and outlook very definately isn't free.

If you have a desire to try a newer email client, Thunderbird is free, very good, better than OE and you're not reliant on MS. click here

R.C.M. 18:23 09 Aug 2006

Thanks for that - I've had a quick look. How easy is it to change from one to the other? Will my settings remain the same?

VoG II 18:47 09 Aug 2006

You should find click here and click here useful.

R.C.M. 19:00 09 Aug 2006

Nice one VoG™ - you have gave me plenty of reading material will try and digest this tonight.

DieSse 19:01 09 Aug 2006

Have a read through the migration FAQs click here

Dumfy 05:23 10 Aug 2006

another good one to keep

R.C.M. 10:26 10 Aug 2006

I spent most of the evening installing Thunderbird. I like the clean look of the layout [not unfamiliar to outlook express] however - while I can receive emails OK I can't send them I get a message telling me my outgoing email [localhost] smtp server is blocking or refusing access?

I have no idea how to rectify this problem. I've went to OE tools > accounts > mail properties > servers and I can't see where I went wrong.

VoG II 12:31 10 Aug 2006

click here may help.

dms05 12:59 10 Aug 2006

Does your SMTP server require Authenticating?

R.C.M. 14:58 10 Aug 2006

I can still send and receive emails to and from my outlook express account - I can't see where I've gone wrong with Thunderbird, do you think I should take outlook express off my account?

Thanks for your help and patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?