Outlook query -Distribution List/Contacts

freddy-firecracker 10:18 19 May 2007

I am using Outlook XP. I am trying to convert a list of Outlook contacts into a distribution list. Is there an easy way to do this without typing every entry in seperately? I have several hundreds saved so i need to keep them as a distribution list rather than individual names.

Thanks

FF

MAJ 10:44 19 May 2007

You don't have to type the names in, just select them and add them to the list. You can even select them in blocks if you wish.

Taff™ 10:47 19 May 2007

File>New>Distribution List - Give the list a name. Now go "Select Members" and do one of the following:

Double Click each one to add them to the column of members on the right

Holding your CTRL key and left click individual names then click the "Members" button to add them

To add several consecutive names select the first name, hold the Shift key and select the last - this will select all those in between - again hit the members button to add them to the list.

Select Save & Close. Note that for e-mail purposes many ISP`s have a limit before they class you as a spammer! I recommend you only put 100 in a distribution list to avoid problems.

freddy-firecracker 11:52 19 May 2007

I can do this fairly esily, however i need to be able to transfer this distibution list to a shared folder for use at work. I can't seem to be able to click and drag this from Outlook to the folder, also the edit commands are greyed out so i can't copy/paste into the shared folder.

I would apprecite any help.

Thanks

FF

MAJ 12:42 19 May 2007

Good to see that helped, freddy-firecracker. ;)

I think to share contacts you need to have a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account. If you don't have that, try this click here

Taff™ 13:25 19 May 2007

Sharepoint may not be free. You could try to do it this way:

Create a new Contacts Folder and call it "Distribution List" or something that others will recognise. Copy your distribution list into this folder. Now File>Import & Export select .PST file and complete the export wizard. Note: Change the default folder to a network loction you can easily remember.

Now each user can import it into their Outlook using the same wizard. It is however not possible for users to update (Add Contacts or alter details) and share the information with others without Exchange Server. The workaround is for each user to export this communal file (with their alterations) on a regular basis. You could then import their folders and using the option to avoid duplicates combine them back into one l folder again and re-distribute it.

Hope I`ve grasped your problem correctly!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?