Outlook - password problem

fazer 21:47 11 May 2010

Have tried to resolve this problem for the past 3 days so am looking for help please.....

Windows XP:

My Outlook 2007 can send but not receive e-mails - it began to ask me for a password which I forgot what it was. So I approached Virgin media who changed it for me - I can use that to log onto their site to view mail. But the password is not being saved nor is it functioning to retreive the mail (I get a server error).

Have followed all the advice from microsoft - changed profile, checked account settings, did the thing with the Protected System Provider Key etc. - to no avail.

Have also "explored" the idea of the so-called Isass.exe issue - but it is not on my machine nor on my sons which has a fully functional Outlook account (not that important then?).

My old Outlook Express can receive the mail (same password/account etc.) and I would'nt mind reverting to that but it is now so old and corrupt I can only receive. And I can't re-download it because it refuses to install because I can't get rid of all traces of internet 7!!! Joy!

I am assuming that because Outlook Express is ok, then the problem is with Outlook (as opposed to any other computer issue) Am I right?

Thoughts will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Woolwell 23:11 11 May 2010

If you can receive on Outlook Express it is most likely to be an Outlook Account setting. Are you absolutely sure that they are correct?

However there have been quite a few threads about Virgin e-mail problems recently. They apparently changed some of their settings.

fazer 23:17 11 May 2010

Thanks.

Virgin media went through the account with me and only verified what is published on their web-site. The only other "option" they gave me was to contact their tech. support for a £30 fee. Needless to say I thought I would try my own process first.

Woolwell 23:27 11 May 2010

You don't seem to be alone see this click here

fazer 00:07 12 May 2010

Have read 'em all!

Seriously though, after scouring this site in respect of the password not being saved, I have yet to read of anyone sorting the problem! As mentioned above, I did the Protected System Provider Key thing to no avail - the password is lost as soon as Outlook is closed.

Anyone any ideas on how to re-download (or repair)Outlook Express when IE7 is present - I know they are compatable but the intallers will not run.

BRYNIT 00:45 12 May 2010

Try delete the account and re enter it as a new account.

onionskin 02:43 12 May 2010

Check all your spelling letter by letter. It took me days once, to spot that I'd entered stmp instead of smpt.

onionskin 02:44 12 May 2010

No wait! It was smtp.

fazer 18:41 12 May 2010

Thanks everyone. Have tried a new account and the spelling is perfect.

Outlook is now "binned."

Will try and repair Outlook Express somehow (suggestions gratefully received!)and in the meantime will use Microsoft Live Mail.

onionskin 08:32 13 May 2010

re: your comment - Virgin media went through the account with me and only verified what is published on their web-site. The only other "option" they gave me was to contact their tech. support for a £30 fee. Needless to say I thought I would try my own process first.

Virgin have just cancelled their support newsgroups. They were a good way to get technical support, your query would be picked up by someone at Virgin who knew the answer, and unlike the web forums, they were fairly immediate.
Now, you get the free support phone line on 151 but they just go through the script with you and if that doesn't help your next step is the paid for tech support. (They call it, 'prioritising your query to the next level', or something like that).

Sorry, I'm using your thread for a bit of a rant, I just don't like firms using technical support as a cash generator.

onionskin 08:36 13 May 2010

P.S.
Have you thought of trying Microsoft's fix-it?
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?