outlook not sending/recieving over wifi

wildrover 08:45 25 Oct 2009

I have a couple of family members just gone travelling in Australia. They have a windows xp netbook set up using outlook as the email client. When they try to send/recieve outlook is freezing and the email stays in the outbox. Everything else works. we can video link using SKYPE and they can connect to a hotmail account using IE. it's just that they are not very tech savvy and everything is set up to email pics, etc using outlook. My guess is that it is a firewall problem - they are at a relative's house at the moment but will be using hotel or cafe wifi later. Anybody with any ideas about what it might be and how to fix it?

Taff™ 09:10 25 Oct 2009

The outgoing e-mail server needs to be changed to that of the ISP of the relative they are staying with. (SMTP server that is) Also check to see if that ISP requires SMTP authentication

Taff™ 09:10 25 Oct 2009

The outgoing e-mail server needs to be changed to that of the ISP of the relative they are staying with. (SMTP server that is) Also check to see if that ISP requires SMTP authentication

wildrover 09:23 25 Oct 2009

Oh. Right. OK. Thanks Taff, that makes good sense. So, presumably, they will get the same problem using wifi access in hotels and cafes?

Taff™ 10:17 26 Oct 2009

That depends. Most domestic ISP`s, certainly in this country don`t allow forwarding because of the potential for spammers, hence the need for them to use the correct outgoing server. I`m pretty sure that commercial wi-fi spots would allow forwarding because often you have to pay for the service by card and there is a record of who uses what and when.

Hotels may vary of course but I`m sure they would oblige if you asked them. The alternative is to use Webmail which is internet based so you might receive mail through Outlook and reply via webmail.

mgmcc 11:32 26 Oct 2009

The basic rule is that you must use the SMTP server of the ISP with which you are connected to the internet, regardless of the email address used in outgoing messages.

However, if your own ISP's SMTP server supports "SMTP Authentication", then you can use it with *any* internet connection. Normally you log in with the same Username/Password as used to retrieve mail from your ISP's POP3 server.

wildrover 20:09 26 Oct 2009

I just typed a thanks for your help but it disappeared when i clicked 'post reponse'!

The gist was thanks for your help, very much appreciated. They are now using webmail and will probably stay with that. I don't think, from looking at the email help pages, that my ISP (Virgin) supports SMTP Authentication.

woodchip 20:14 26 Oct 2009

Funny that as its happened to me tonight after typing a lengthy Post to a thread

wildrover 20:22 26 Oct 2009

Hmm, strange. perhaps we were timed out woodchip?

mgmcc 07:52 27 Oct 2009

>>> I don't think, from looking at the email help
>>> pages, that my ISP (Virgin) supports SMTP
>>> Authentication

It may depend which part of Virgin you are with. The former Telewest (using the server SMTP.BLUEYONDER.CO.UK) does support SMTP Authentication and I still use their server when connected with a 3G mobile dongle.

wildrover 08:12 27 Oct 2009

Am with the old NTL (smtp.ntlworld.com)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?