Outlook / ISP smtp problem

joelmb 19:57 17 May 2004

Hi. I have the problem that when I send a new email, it appears to hang in my outbox in Outlook 2002. Outlook tells me there was an error with the smtp server (which is smtp.ntlworld.com) but thats all Ive got to go on.

I can't as yet tell whether its my web host(Fasthosts, Grrr) my ISP (NTL) or some other problem such as spyware or virus, though nothing shows up on spybot, adaware or AVG. What basically happens is the email hangs there, and everytime I click send and receive it seems to be sending, but not showing as such in Outlook sent items, just remains there in outbox - consequently I get a reply asking why I sent the email repeatedly. If I thus don't click send and receive I have no way of knowing whether its been sent.

The other thing I wondered whether might be casuing it is AVG which Ive recently started using, however it still does it when I prevent it from scanning outgoing emails.

Any ideas? Its driving me mad! btw I'm on Win XP in case it helps.

johnnyrocker 20:08 17 May 2004

what happens if you send yourself mail from the test settings feature?

johnny.

joelmb 20:14 17 May 2004

It works, other than sending the test email itself which says error 'server was found but there was no response from the server'

joelmb 23:39 17 May 2004

Looks like the problem is with NTL who say they are having technical difficulties, and seeing that the error is with their smtp that must be it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?