Outlook: Hotmail Folders

kentylad 12:43 04 Jun 2003

I am currently running WinXP Pro with Outlook 2003 (Beta). I have never used Outlook and after purchasing the Beta package, I decided to get my moneys worth and use the whole package, rather than just Word and Excel.

Now, I have a web-based email account (like most people) with Hotmail. I am familiar with how Outlook synchronises with the Hotmail server i.e. downloading the folder list, however I was just wondering whether it is possible to get those messages/folders on my HDD as a source of back-up. Hotmail has many advantages, but a mere 2MB storage is not sufficient for myself as I often find I have to email myself with work from school i.e. large attachments

Hope someone can help!!

Regards

Nick

kentylad 13:13 04 Jun 2003

Anyone?

kentylad 16:07 04 Jun 2003

Please?

slowhand_1000 16:12 04 Jun 2003

Once you have got Outlook to download the emails they are on your system. Attachments can then be saved wherever you want.

Does your ISP not give you more than 2mb email account ?

kentylad 17:56 05 Jun 2003

I'm not too keen on using my ISP account.

How do i download the emails onto my system?

Nick

Valvegrid 18:08 05 Jun 2003

Lycos.co.uk have 15mb for their boxes. It's free.

Patr100 19:49 05 Jun 2003

You can still move messages in Hotmail within Outlook to another folder in Outlook on your Hard drive to gain space on Hotmail, just call the folder "archive" or "saved messages" or similar . You should be be able to export/import those messages from PC to PC.

Patr100 20:36 08 Jun 2003

Were you able to make a new local folder and move messages from Hotmail to your hard disk?

kentylad 21:39 08 Jun 2003

I'm not too confident with Outlook, so I was a wee bit confused with what you were trying to say.....?

Is it possible to have a 'step-by-step' guide?

Regards

Nick

Patr100 22:56 08 Jun 2003

I don't use Outlook or have it in front of me but if Outlook Express is at all the same then you select the message(s) you want to move and right click your mouse button - you should get a "move to folder" option. Your existing folders should appear and you also have the "new folder" option, if you want to create a new folder to place the messages. make sure it is a local folder or a sub folder of your exisitng ISP account. As you are not actually moving then onto the server, you won't be filling up your space allocation. You should also be able tpo drag and drop between folders as with windows Explorer.

Are you actually using Outlook to receive your ISP and is it set up with your ISP account email?

Also ,to be frank, if you only want to use it for email , then Outlook Express is much more essy to use and simple for basic email. Outlook is really also a sophisticated office Time management/Diary program which has features that you may not actually ever use.

Valvegrid 07:06 09 Jun 2003

You said earlier in the thread: “Hotmail has many advantages, but a mere 2MB storage is not sufficient for myself as I often find I have to email myself with work from school i.e. large attachments”.
Free Hotmail will not allow file size over 2mb.
If need to send large files to yourself you’ll have to use another email provider like

click here

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017