outlook - help

TN 19:28 25 Feb 2011

I have had to completely re-install Windows 7 after a complete failure. However I will have to re-install MS Office etc., but in doing so will lose all my emails and email addresses - is there anywhere I can look for these on the original (Saved) Windows folder? All help appreciated.

Eric10 20:20 25 Feb 2011

They aren't kept in the Windows folder but in your Personal Folders. Usual location is C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Your computer will need to be set to show hidden files. If you have done a clean installation of Windows on this drive then you may already have overwritten this location but if you did a "Repair" installation then it may have been preserved.

Woolwell 20:22 25 Feb 2011

Search for a pst file. Save that.
But probably it is better to back up data and restore from that. Which version of Outlook?
Puzzled when you say you have had to reinstall Windows 7 and you now have to install MS Office. Have you not got a clean disc and the data has gone unless you have a backup?

FreeCell 20:24 25 Feb 2011

You don't say which version of Outlook you're using. With Outlook 2010 the .pst file is located in an Outlook Files folder under My Documents. In older versions like Outlook 2000 Eric10 points you to the folder.

If you can search the saved folder for *.pst files then you may find what you are looking for.

Eric10 21:41 25 Feb 2011

I'm running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Pro and my outlook files are in the location given in my earlier post.

TN 08:27 26 Feb 2011

I should have given much more detail: First of all I am running Office 2007.What happened was that I installed SP1 update and yesterday morning when I switched computer on it never got to Windows but immediately the blue screen of death appeared. I tried a Repair as I did manage to use a rescue disk to start computer but after 20 minutes I got message that MS could not operate a repair. Then I decided to do a fresh install. Hope this helps you to help me.

Eric10 12:48 26 Feb 2011

It is probably best to do a search for the .pst file since the actual location can be changed from the default.
Double-click the "Computer" icon if it's on your desktop or open it from the Start menu. You should now see a search box at the top right. Type in Outlook.pst and see if anything is found. If not then try searching on *.pst and see if anything in the list looks promising.
If nothing can be found by this method then I fear that you have already lost it. File recovery software may be able to get it back but I'll leave suggestions for this to others who may be better able to advise you since I have no experience in using this type of software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?