OUTLOOK gone crazy!!!

5ean 10:03 01 Feb 2004

Ok trying to help out my dear old Mum on this one.

She is using Outlook on XP (not express)

Everytime she comes to send mail all her SMTP settings have been changed so she has to reset them each time. This has only been happening last few days. On my advice she has run several programs like spy bot adaware + stinger.

Any further ideas as none of these has found or cured anything.

Many thanks

Sean

Diodorus Siculus 10:17 01 Feb 2004

Has she installed an antivirus program that scans outgoing mail? it may have its own smtp server.

AndyJ 10:19 01 Feb 2004

Are you doing it the "official" way i.e.

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
2. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
3. Select your ISP account, and then click Change.
4. Under Server Information, change the Incoming mail server (POP3) text box to the new server information provided by your ISP.
5. Under Server Information, change the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) text box to the new server information provided by your ISP.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:21 01 Feb 2004

What do they change to? Although she seems to have run all the right progs it does sound like a dialler of sorts. It may be worth checking the dial-up connections and having a trawl through the programmes in 'C'. Also go to start-run and type msconfig and go to 'start up' to see if there is anyhting dodgy there.

G

5ean 15:38 01 Feb 2004

Ok thanks for all the tips, am trying to help over phone so it's not easy. I'll try to find out what they change to.

5ean 15:40 01 Feb 2004

Not sure I like the way this forum plays with text to provide links not inteded grrrrrrr

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?